Chapter 4

This is not good.

Other vampires began to appear both on the ground and on the trees. Others showed up from behind which made us surrounded. They hissed and snarled and slowly moved towards us.

I stepped back until I met both the backs of Carly and Eric. Great, we are like in those action movies when the good guys got cornered by the bad guys. There, the good guys always pulled it off. Here — with real vicious blood-thirsty vampires — we need a miracle.

"You gave us quite a run there, you pesky Keepers." The vampires with the scar said. "You two," pointing at Eric.

Eric smirked, "Why? Tired already, newbies?"

The vampire grinned.

"At least we are not dinner." A vampire — a fair, black-haired, goth girl — next to him said. "So better get ready." Then all of the vampires hissed.

"You can't make me dinner." Eric scoffed.

"Why would we want you? You're no tastier than a dead rat." She murmured.

"I heard that!" Eric snapped.

The goth vampire waved her hand, "Whatever, but them on the other hand — " she gestured to me and Carly. " — they'll make a wonderful meal."  She smirked.

My whole body suddenly became tense. A sudden chill spread throughout my body when she licked her bottom lip with her tongue.

"Over my dead body!" Carly snapped. She circled her hands and created a red energy ball. It blazed tremendously that most of the vampires covered their eyes and looked away. She threw the energy ball to the goth vampire but the vampire with the scar shielded her and stroked the ball with his arm.

The ball exploded and spread red smoke across the forest. Just as the smoke cleared, an evil chuckle was heard. "Weak," the vampire with the scar said.

I gasped. The attack didn't affected him at all! No burn, no scratch — no nothing!

Carly stammered, "H-how can that be?"

"My guess, he had a heavy meal before coming hear." Eric muttered.

A vampire's strength and power depends on the amount of blood he consumes. And like what the vampire showed earlier; he must've killed lots of innocent lives.

"Correct. And guess what, that was just an appetizer." The vampire smiled. "The main course is Keeper's blood!" He charged and the rest followed.

I closed my eyes It's all over. We can't win against them. We're done for.

But then, something cold grabbed my hand. I looked and saw Eric, smiling. "Going up," he said as he grabbed Carly's hand and tossed us hard to the sky.

Carly and I screamed as we flew in the air. But Carly encircled her arms around my waist, pulled me in and released red energy flames at the bottom of her feet. We stopped and floated in mid-air. "What the heck are you doing, dumbass!?" Carly shouted back.

"Go!"

I looked at Eric, fighting the vampires off. He waved at us, "Go! I'll catch up!" He bellowed as he kicked a vampire in mid-air.

Carly nodded and flew us away.

"Wait! How about Eric?" I asked.

"Don't worry about him." She said. "I know him before he even entered here. He never backs down a fight."

I looked back but I can't see Eric or the other vampires anymore. My heart sank as we move farther away from him. I hope he's alright.

"I see it!" Carly said a few minutes later. "The werwolves' training ground is just up ahead."

I've never actually seen or been to the werewolves' training ground, yet, but Amber, a friend of ours who is also a Keeper, told us everything about it: open woodlands with obstacles and practice dummies, rock formation were used for hike training, and a regular dorm building near a downstream river.

Okay, I can't explain the exact detail of it, but I'm going to find out soon.

A shadow movement from below caught my eye. It was moving swiftly behind the trees. I focused the shadow for a moment and I realized that they began to multiply. "Carly, I think they found us."

"Let them," Carly scoffed. "They can't reach us, anyway."

My eyes are still fixed at the trees. The wind blew its leaves and without noticing, a tree trunk tossed to the sky, towards us!

"Look out!" I grabbed Carly's shoulder and banked a hard left.

The tree flew past us and fell to the ground, making a loud THUD.

"That was too close." Carly said. "Uh-oh,"

Two more trees were tossed directly at us, but these are different; there are vampires riding it! Carly flew up but just as the trees passed us, someone caught my ankle.

"Gotcha,"

I looked down and saw a hooded vampire grinned darkly at me.

"Let go!" Carly shouted. A vampire also caught her ankle. She rocked her leg back and forth but the vampire won't let go.

A sudden pain spread through me. The hooded vampire just twisted my ankle. "Get off of me!" I cried as I kicked his head. But he just twisted my ankle even more. I cried in pain and I can't feel my foot anymore.

Carly grinned. "Let go of her!" She swayed the vampire on her ankle to the hooded vampire. But their grip is so tight, they won't let go. "Why you — GET OFF!" She hit both vampires hard that they released their hold from us.

"You okay, Angel?"

"Yeah, I think — look out!"

The hooded vampire tossed the other vampire towards us in mid-air. He hissed and grabbed Carly, who shrieked and lost her balance, and we uncontrollably swayed side to side. "I said get off you creep!" She elbowed him in the chin but the vampire maintained his position. He held his hand high and stroked between me and Carly.

For a moment, Carly's arm was around me. Now, I felt the wind passed by me as I fell into the forest. I was welcomed by twigs and branches until I saw nothing but darkness.