22// Karaoke

Betty didn't manage to get hold of Tom for the next few days; their schedule just didn't match up, until breakfast on Friday when Tom facetimed her

"You never told me it was your birthday!" He greeted her accusingly

"I didn't think it was a big deal." She defended quickly,

"Well it is a huge deal," he countered, shoving a croissant into his mouth "Your mum rang mine asking if we wanted to come to dinner tonight to celebrate." Betty visibly cringed, so much for not telling anyone.

"Oh god,"

"Well it's now happening at my flat so be there at 5:30 sharp and bring the kid and the dog please, I miss them."

"Hold on," she interjected with a laugh of disbelief "You have a flat locally?"

"Yeah,"

"Then why the hell do you live in a trailer?" she questioned

"Well Harry and Sam have been staying with me whilst they have been in an out of the country with their travelling and it helps me distinguish work time from home time, you know? Plus some shoots are so late that I couldn't bear to have to drive any distance just to go to and empty flat and sleep." She laughed at his ridiculousness, he paid out for a flat that he barely spent any time in, what a waste.

"So 5:30," he moved the conversation back to his initial topic but she wished he hadn't.

"Do I have to?" she whined a little and he smiled broadly, knowing that he'd won

"I'll see you there love." He signed off and the screen went black.

She finished early and picked Roo up from nursery on her way home. She still didn't want to go, but she knew that birthdays were just as much about the people who loved her celebrating her birth as it was for her; so she curled her hair and put on a casual-ish dress and even bothered to touch up the make-up that she'd worn to work. She called out for Roo, who'd insisted on getting himself ready, because they were out of time; if they didn't leave soon then they would be late.

"I'm ready," he appeared at the top of the stairs in a Spiderman costume that Betty had definitely not bought him; he had his Captain America shield rucksack on (that one she had bought him) with his iron man helmet on.

"What is that?" she freaked for a minute, having expected to see him in a smart shirt, which was always dirty despite her persistent washing of it, and his favourite chinos; instead of his favourite light up trainers, he was wearing Uggs.

"I want to show Tom before he leaves." He ran out the door she'd opened and she watched Nana run after wearing a black jacket that looked suspiciously leathery. The kid and the dog jumped into the car and Betty had no time and no choice but to follow their lead,

"What is Nana wearing?" she asked, after catching a glimpse of the silver arm on one side of the dog's jacket,

"Nana is Bucky." Ruben frowned with confusion, having thought it pretty obvious

"Oh my god." She ran a hand through her hair, pushing her small existential crisis to the side, in order to not kill them all as they followed google maps to Tom's flat.

"You wore it!" Tom cheered high fiving Roo as he let them in,

"This was your idea?" she gaped and he nodded proudly until he saw the dog

"That wasn't me though." He laughed, guiding her by the small of her back towards the living room where the others were.

"Go ahead pal," she said to Roo, stopping just short of the door "We'll catch up with you." He nodded happily and disappeared from the hall way.