Chapter 19

Tris's POV

I wake up on the couch wrapped in Toby's arms. I smile and hear my phone ring.

I grab the phone and answer it. The words are hard to make out, but all I hear is...

"He... Dead... Car... Your dad!"

I walk over to the couch and sit down. I process every word. Then I realize what just happened.

My father is dead. A car killed him somehow. I let a tear drop down my face. I slap myself.

I am Tris prior. I am selfish. I am brave. And I dont cry. I wipe the tear and go to the bathroom.

I look at myself in the mirror and clean my face so I dont look like I am upset.

No one will know about my father and no one will feel sorry for me. I dont need pity.

I hear a yawn and I jump. It was so quiet I didnt remember that he was in my living room.

I walk to the living room and see Toby looking at me. I think he knows something.

He walks over and looks at me again. I get nervous and turn around.

"I can tell something is wrong. I know you dont want to cry and that you dont want anyone to give you pity... so tell me and I will keep it a secret."

Oh my gosh! How does he know all of this. Is he a mind reader?

"Umm... I dont know what you are talking about, but I dont know for for sure... I just know that..."

"That!?"

"My father is dead and that whatever happened to him involved a car and I got a call earlier. I will not cry and I will not accept pity."

"You can cry in front of me."

Toby's POV

"You can cry in front of me."

I see one single tear fall down her beautiful face. No more tears. Just one tear. I feel bad for her. I know she is tough, but losing family is something no one should have to go through.

I remember when I lost my mother. I cried every day. I locked myself in my room.

"No! I have to stay strong. I will not let anybody look at me with pity. I will not cry. I will not remember anything, because I... I am selfish, I am brave, I am dauntless."

"I know you think you need to be brave, but you..."

She cuts me off by running into her room. She locks it. She is gonna be in there for awhile.

I text Uriah and Zeke.

Hey... - 4

You are upset - Z

Whaaaatttt - 4

Dont you dare keep it secret - U

Its about Tris - 4

Wait! You guys didnt frickle frackle did you!? - U

What the heck - Z

No! Its upset not... eww - 4

Then what!? - U

Tris... She is going through her period and she is driving me crazy, I need help! - 4

Give her time. Marlene was doing the same and Uriah got over it - Z

Omg! I am gonna kill u! - U

Well... I will talk to you later - 4

I put my phone down and laugh. I am glad Uriah and Marlene are doing good. I wont tell them what really happened, because I promised her.

I look at her door. I decide to peek through the door lock to make sure she is ok.

I peek through the door and see her cutting. Oh my cheez-itz! She is cutting. I need to stop her.

I knock on her door and hear the knife drop.

"Go away Four!"

"No, I will camp outside your room if I have to."

Silence. Thats never good. I see her grab the knife again and bury it in her dresser. Then she lays down and falls asleep.

Well, I guess I am sleeping right where I am...