Chapter 1: Potions Class

A/n 2023: I'm not gonna delete this story for nostalgia's sake, and because I know a lot of people enjoyed it, but for anyone who hasn't read it yet I feel the need to preface that I wrote this when I was 13 and there are a lot of cringe and problematic scenes/themes involved. For instance, the reader is 16 and later on in the story there is sexual content (so poorly written LMAO) If any of this makes you uncomfortable feel free to click off and read something else. I am currently writing a Snape x reader fic where the reader is 18, it's called "Sincerely Yours" and you can find it on my profile. I would recommend it greatly over this one.

Where does this story begin? Well, it begins with you of course.

Y/n L/n.

You were one of Hogwart's smartest students.
Even in the hardest of classes, your grades would soar without effort! As you would expect, the teachers adored you. That is....all but one teacher. Potions class was a whole other story. Professor Snape was the one nut you couldn't crack.

-

"Potions, wonderful. My favorite..."

Potions was the absolute worst class of the day, I always dreaded going. A full hour everyday of pure embarrassment, anxiety, and information I could hardly understand. It was falling down a flight of stairs that never seemed to end.

And here I was once again: standing outside of his classroom like a lost puppy as all the other students shuffled in. I really didn't want to go in.

But alas—I forced myself to enter, rushing to the back of the classroom and making sure to be as far away from everyone as possible. I did that every class, in hope that I could spare myself from some pain.

Out of sight, out of mind! Right? Right.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Out of habit I began to fiddle with my quill, while my eyes drifted to the front of the classroom. Who was I staring at you may ask? My eyes were upon the infamous Professor Snape.

Definitely a well known wizard at Hogwarts. For the right reasons? That's arguable. I'd say about 90% of the student body despised him.

As usual he spared the common formalities, and turned to face the class with his impeccable elegance.

"Today we'll be making an Amortentia potion, commonly acknowledged as one of the strongest love potions." He cringed as he said the word "love" as if it caused him physical pain.

"While I'd much rather teach something else, this particular potion is necessary for the curriculum. I briefly instructed all of you children on how to make it in the previous class, so I sincerely hope you were paying attention."

I let a sigh escape my lips at his words. This was going to be difficult...

"If you can't successfully prepare this potion I advise you quit while you're ahead, because you can forget about passing the potions section of your OWLS. It will be ten times more challenging."

Are you kidding me?

I couldn't imagine staying a year back because of potions. That'd be the day....But He's probably right. If I don't get help with potions now, will I ever pass my OWLS?

There was no way I could make this potion without help. The last time I practiced making a potion in my dorm, I set a Slytherin girl's hair on fire. I was barely passing potions—it was embarrassing.

I knew I had to swallow my pride and ask Professor Snape for help. Either that or basically fail potions. And as a notorious overachiever, the second one was not an option.