>Chapter Nineteen<

Chapter 19

••Arron's POV••

Not long after the nurse leads me into Paige's room. "Take a seat sir. Calm down. We will keep you updated."

"Do you think she'll be okay?" I whisper, dreading the professionals answer.

The nurse gives me a sad frown,"I don't know. But I'll let you know anything the minute I hear it."

She grabs her belly, silently excusing herself as she wobbles out the room.

I told Kobe I would find Mike and get him to talk but I can't leave now! Paige needs me more than anything, it would be selfish to leave and not only that I can't seem to attempt to get out of the chair the nurse put me in. It's like my body has been glued with adhesive. The only thing moving is the erratic thumping of my heart. It pounds hart against my rib cage, about to give out any second.

I hear the paddle of feet as they enter the room, but my head won't movie to recognise their faces. "Arron?"

A soft gentle voice. Farley familiar to Paige's, not as sweet, though, and more mature. I feel a hand rest on my shoulder. It's soft but firm,"Paige is going to be fine." This time it's a more drier voice, masculine. Travis. The other must be Ms.Wilson, Paige's aunt. A nurse must have informed them on Paige's whereabouts.

Travis sighs and drops his hand. "Just let him be. This time is very critical for him. We don't want to add anything to it."

I can imagine Ms.Wilson nod. I then hear her sniff quietly,"Sure. If you need anything we'll be in the waiting room."

I don't nod, I merely continue to stare at my slightly shaking hands. Hands that have held Paige's hands that seem to look so tiny compared to mine. Hands that have played with a piece of her hair as she fell asleep. Or hands that have cradled her face so many times to simply gaze into her beautiful brown orbs.

These hands have gotten the privilege of getting to hold her against me. To feel her heartbeat against mine. I try to recount those moments. Because if those were our last beautiful moments... I don't want to forget them.

I can't really explain what the next hour or so was. Because to tell you myself, I don't recall. It was as if I was in some kind of traumatic state. I didn't move. Couldn't move. I stayed in that chair, my head down at my hands the entire time. I heard the slow steady tick of the clock however. That painful tick noise sounded at least a thousand times. I only broke free when the doctor came in with slow feet and told me her surgery was over.

My head slowly cranes up, my eyes red. And I say the three words I've been thinking about for the past two hours. "Is she alive?"

The doctor wipes his sweaty forehead, then shuffles forward,"She lost a lot of blood. And it was very risky operating so close to the spinal break. The good thing is the swelling didn't increase, so no cordial break. However,"She's now in a comatose state."

"Comatose?" I squeak. "I thought you said there was no break?"

"There wasn't. The amount of blood she lost added to the haemorrhage of the brain made the body go into a shut down mode. It's probably a safer way of healing but it does have some risks. She may not wake up. Added with all the risks that she had before. Her swelling could flair back up and..."

"So that surgery didn't really fix her. It just took her back to where she was?"

"It did fix the brain bleeding but yes. She's back to stage one."

I let my head fall into my hands. Things can never go my way.

"And I should warn you. We had to shave a part of her head for surgery. It's only temporary, it'll grow back."