>Chapter Twenty-Six<

Chapter 26

I start seeing the Los Angeles Emergency Room sign and find myself not getting as upset. I just had the most amazing day with my boyfriend. Nothing could wreck this.

Well, this might wreck him.

"Arron." I grab his hand over the middle counsel. He glances from the road to me with concerned eyes.

"What is it?"

"There's no easy way to tell you this so I'm just going to say it."

"You're scaring me Paige." He says wearily.

I suck in a breath. "My mom's coming."

His forehead creases and he pulls his hand from mine. "What do you mean your mom is coming?"

"Well not just her my brother too are coming here. To California."

He tiredly rubs his face, tightly gripping the steering wheel with both hands. "You should have told me sooner."

"I just found out today. Before we left to be exact. I couldn't find a good time to tell you. Don't be mad." I say lowly, my head down.

He sighs deeply. "I'm not mad at you baby. I learned the hard way that nothing good comes from that." I take a sigh of relief when he takes my hand back in his. "I'm just sad."

I instantly feel remorse. "Awh honey." I kiss his hand. "There's no reason to be sad. She's just coming for a visit."

"You and I both know she has an ulterior motive." He looks at me with hard eyes. "Come on. Her daughter nearly lost her life. She can't protect you in all the way in Chicago. It's simple. Come here and bring her back to the nest." He says disappointedly.

I knew he would react this way, but I had to tell him. "I don't know why she's coming, but lets not worry to much about it. She's not coming for another couple of days so lets make the most of it. I'm coming home tomorrow. That's something to look forward to."

He nods, smiling slightly,"I know sweetheart. And I'm sorry about getting upset. But the thought of you leaving makes my stomach turn."

I frown, leaning my head against his arm. I don't know what else to say, so for the remainder of the time we ride in silence. He parks in the same spot of the hospital lot and shuts off the car. "I'll take you inside but I can't stay long. I have some business I have to take care of."

"What business?"

"I don't want to worry you about it now. I'll tell you later."

"You told me that last time I want to know now Arron!" I shouldn't be getting as worked up as I am, but I hate that he's hiding something from me.

He takes a deep breath. "I need to call Mike. Ask him something."

"What do you need to ask him?"

He tiredly rubs at his face. As if my question is irritating him. "Where I can find an old friend of his. James."

"Who's James?"

He takes my hand, looking intently into my eyes,"I really don't want to worry you sweetheart."

"You're worrying me by not telling me Arron. I'm stronger than you think."

"James is a guy that knows a guy that's responsible for Kobe's accident."

My eyes widen,"You know who did that to Kobe! Oh my gosh you have to get the police!"

"No. See this is why I didn't want to tell you. Telling the cops will only make it worse. It will get us both killed."