CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE; KILLING MACHINE

Venting wasn't my thing. It never was. It never will be. Even talking as much as I had today was new territory for me. But the second Peter sat next to me in the smooth car, he seemed to have an answer to all my questions, a laugh to top all my ridiculous answers, and even an unfamiliar smile when it seemed I needed it most. It was weird. He was weird. The whole situation was weird. Engaging with another human who wasn't a victim, nor Uncle Tony nor my father nor even Nat.

This started when Peter pulled out a small cracked screen, with lots of buttons. He had what everyone seemed to have attached to their hip or face, always in their hands. He was using only his quick thumbs to type on the cracked screen, I squinted trying to get a better look. His thumbs paused and he shifted his focus over his shoulder and to me. "Uh, hey."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "what are you doing?"

"Texting May." He picked up on my confused expression and turned his body towards me, a look of curiosity struck in his eyes. "Don't you have a phone?"

"No," I answered truthfully. I had seen them, but not as many as I had today. I didn't get why everyone was so obsessed with them. What would I want to do with a screen with a bunch of buttons?

Peter shook his head, chuckling at my reaction. "Seriously, who are you?" He put his phone away and turned to look at me. His fist rested underneath his chin while he leaned towards me, I got the feeling he was trying to intimidate me. There was a feeling the filled me when he looked at me, I couldn't name it, but I knew it wasn't intimidation.

I hated the way his sudden curious interest in me and my history made my ears buzz like a swarm of bees. "I already told you, my name's Lila. Even Uncle Tony told you. I really don't want to have to keep telling you my name, so you"-

"No, not your name." Peter shook his head and sighed, trying to explain while tripping over his words, "I, I, I mean, where are you from? Why.. why don't you know what a phone is? And why did Mr. Stark lie to May, I know you weren't in prison."

"Hey. Sherlock." Tony got his attention from the front seat with the tap of his index finger against the car's tinted partition, that slowly rolled down, "you're supposed to be, you know friendly, not try and interrogate her."

He sighed, looking down, "sorry, Mr. Stark."

Nat chuckled and looked up from her phone. "Maybe just hold off on all the questions for right now," she suggested to Peter who was red in the face. I hadn't realized she was listening, for a second I thought she had slipped into some awake coma caused by her phone. Her false state reminded me of my father. Again, for a split second I wondered what he was doing and if he were okay.