CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE: FIRE AND RESCUE

Everything seemed to move too slow, at first

Everything seemed to move too slow, at first. In a way, everything was too much. The water seemed to be too blue, in comparison to the usual white frosty light hue, the room almost too dark to see my surroundings, rather than the periwinkle shade that enveloped the entire space. Frost covered the walls, and even began to appear at the top of my wet, frozen head. I didn't wake up instantly, but when I did, I wasn't sure I was in The Icebox. Yes, I was locked in a pool of freezing water, but my hands were locked up. That never happened in The Ice Box. And, they must've drugged me before throwing me in because the groggy effects were starting to ware off. Which, again, never happened in The Ice Box.

I sighed, shaking my head while my eyes followed the trail of the chains, they were hooked into the concrete wall in front of me. My eyebrows, furrowed, and I tugged against the cuffs, to see how fragile they were for when I needed to break free. But the second after I tugged, something, or someone, on the other side of the wall yanked back and my body was slammed into the wall. I yelled out harshly, "ow!" then winced, easing back from the frozen wall. I squeezed my eyes shut extra tight, waiting for the stars to disappear.

Three days of this?

And right when I thought things couldn't get worse, I heard the drain beneath me open up. I wasn't prepared to be sucked to the bottom of the pool, like a shark dragging me to the bottom of the ocean to finish me off. The drain was like a vacuum, now, than the usual soft drain I was used to. The vacuum seal pulled me underneath the water, and right as I was starting to get dragged to the bottom, and hitting the metal gate, my cuffs yanked me in the opposite direction. I yelled out, feeling my body being pulled in two different directions. I held my breath, waiting for this unnecessary stretch to be over and to breath air again. Eventually the vacuum gave out and I was pulled upward and outward, splat against the wall.

I coughed out the water, spitting it up, the returning to the chittering of my teeth. Too many waves of pain rushed through my body when feeling returned. The ice, the chains, the-

"Wait," I mumbled over the chattering of my teeth and squinting passed the frozen water.

There was a gate over the drain now. They put an actual obstacle in the way of my escape. And was that a..

"A lock?!" They put a lock on the gate. The gate: My only way of escape. And it was gone!

I shook my head and squeezed my eyes shut. A growl, one that I couldn't have planned or seen coming, erupted from my mouth. A small flame flew from my mouth and into the wall in front of me, the small wave of heat lasted for only a moment, and then it was gone. The cold returned quickly.