CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN: F(L)IGHT OF OUR LIVES

Liar. If I had to use one word to describe Bucky Barnes it would be liar. He told me that I could help them stop the group of winter soldiers and save the world, but we couldn't exactly do that because we didn't have a plan. A good plan, at least, because when I asked how they expected to defeat them, all Steve mumbled was an unnecessary optimistic answer: Together.

"You want to just waltz in there with a gun and a shield and stop these super soldiers? Really? That's all you've got?" I rose an unconvinced eyebrow then topped off my question with a sarcastic bitter cherry, "oh, my bad, I meant waltz in there with a gun and shield together?"

"Yes, that's all we've got for now," Steve answered, huffing a low and impatient blow of air from his lips. He paused, turning to offer me an unamused expression as he followed up with a question of his own. "And what exactly did you have in mind?"

"Call Tony," I was being honest, because that's what this conversation needed, "and the rest of your super friends, you both saw how much damage we did back there at the airport. All - what, ten? - of us, against five super soldiers"-

"Winter soldiers," Bucky corrected from beside Steve, in a low voice, "and even with all thirteen of us, we still wouldn't win, not against them. You don't understand, just one of them are far stronger than you and I combined. They're trained to have no weakness, they don't feel anything. They could sneak up on us before we even knew they were coming." I made a mental note to remember how dramatic Bucky was when he was trying to make a point.

"If we beat the doctor there, we don't have to win." Steve informed, as if it was the most simplest plan in the world. His optimism was starting to annoy me; at the end of the day, hope wasn't going to save the day, action was.

I leaned against the cushion of my seat, turning my head to get a better look at Mr. Optimistic and ask him the one question he didn't want to hear, "and if we don't get there first?"

There was a too long pause before Steve hopefully promised, "we will."

I sighed to myself, raking my hands through my now dark hair out of stress. I couldn't sit still and hope. My body felt too itchy and before I knew what I was doing, I was standing and pacing. Back and forth in the too small of a space while I let my mind race. There were too many things to be done and said with not enough time. My mind was like a train racing against a mile long route of rickety tracks.

I made the wrong choice. No. I never make the wrong choice, I'm Red Ch- No. Wait. I'm not that monster anymore, I'm Lila Barton. Lila, the girl who makes all the wrong choices and double crosses the people who were supposed to be ther-