Chapter 10: Clubbing and Consequences

Week 3 out of 22

Whatever happened at the moment, is merely just a second. Much precise with only confusion left over.

It's been 10 days since the kiss in the car I shared with Mr. Hart and a week since our negative encounter in the boardroom. My anger against his lack of sensibility has withered down, only emotion left is confusion. Since then, I barely see him and even when I do, he barely acknowledged anyone's presence. He steps in and out of his office like a shepherd viewing his flock. Perhaps his interest in me has wavered off. It wouldn't be much of a surprise. Afterall, I did go against my judgment in voicing my frustration with him out loud. I was the temporary snack to him. Edible to taste and throw the remains out afterward. My only regret was succumbing to his trap. The dreams have been more consistent, keeping me awake for most of the night.

I wondered if he ever told his fiance that he cheated on her during their lavish brunches, or rather if she knew herself. Luckily,  we hadn't gone any further. I had left before anything happened. I will not delude myself to think anything good could come from being with a man. I refuse to become my mother's living nightmare.

" See anything you like?" I turned out of my thoughts and glanced at Eva. We were currently Sante Tiegs boutique, which was her idea to drag me out from my slumber into the mall. Her hands were strolling through the rack of colorful strapless dresses.

" Of course not," I replied.

"You're not even trying,"  She whined, picking up a mint green sparkly dress assembling it to her body to see how it would look on her frame.

"It's not my taste." 

"Oh, I'm sorry, princess. Maybe we'll stop by Barney's  to find your elegant Disney  gown for the ball tonight." Eva marked sarcastically. 

" A local club is not a ball. I thought I told you I'm not going." I told her quietly. 

"It's not optional, Charlie." She said.

"Of course it's optional, I have rights." I protested. 

"Let's put it this way, " Eva paused her sentence before gazing through another sequined dress.

"You have lived in my house for 2 weeks now and we haven't really done anything together. I know it's due to our fucked up parents. But you need a distraction from your fucked-upness of a life revolving your work around that firm." 

"I need my Master's. You know that."  I murmured angrily.

" You and I both know you'll get it either way. You have the family name." She said.

"I don't want to use my family name." I snapped, looking towards her direction.

"Me either but it sure pays the bills,"  she muttered

"neither," I corrected, yet she didn't hear me.

" Oh, by the way, I scheduled your hair appointment today."

"Why on earth would you do that?" My question came off less aloof mixed in with frustration.

"You are not showing up in the club with your hair like this." She used her hand to pull down my kinky black curl from my afro. I swiped her hand away quickly.

"Whats wrong with my hair?" I questioned.

"You've got thick ass hair, I love it. I'm all for Black female empowerment and all, but its time leave out the curls for the night."She said