Chapter 2 ✔

[Edited]

I trek into the school building, trying to doge all the people filing into the school. I really don't want to be the center of attention for anyone and cause a scene. I glance around the decent looking school, taking everything in. The halls are filled with students all laughing and talking before morning class. I feel sadness wash over me instantly. I envy them. I can't completely blame my father for my lack of friends, but because of me just being me. Lydia was my only friend I had before the accident. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I struggled to make and keep friends. I had always thought I was annoying them, so we slowly grew apart, making me the weird, quite girl.

I scoured the halls trying to find the office and finally see the sign hanging above the door that reads 'Office' when I turn the corner. I slowly push open the door and look over at the receptionist. Her head instantly rises as she gives me a wide smile as I walk up to her.

"Hi, how may I help you?" she asks overly joyful. I let out a subtle sigh before speaking.

"Um...I-I'm here for my schedule," I say nervously as I fiddle with my hands. A terrible habit of mine when I'm nervous. She nods her head.

"Oh, you must be the new student! It's nice to meet you! What's your name sweetie?" She asks.

"Emilia Stone," I answer softly.

"Okay, thank you, Emilia," She says happily as she starts to hastily type away on her computer. I hear the printer start behind her and she turns in her seat, waiting for the paper to finish printing before handing it to me.

"Here you go sweetheart," She says, smiling widely at me as I slowly take the paper from her hand. I look at the piece of paper, containing my schedule, locker, and combination.

"Thank you," I whisper.

"You are certainly welcome! Have a great first-day honey," She says with a smile, before turning back to her computer.

I glance at my paper to find my locker. 107. I start walking back down the hall watching the numbers go down until I finally find my locker. I walk up to it, seeing people standing close to my locker. I quickly glance at my combination on the paper and put it into my locker. I take a quick glance at the people next to me to see them taking quick glances at me while laughing lightly and whispering to each other. I feel my cheeks heat up and embarrassment flood my veins. I open my locker door to sort of hide behind it.

I don't even know why I'm at my locker, I don't have any books to put it in. All I have is a notebook, pencils, and my sketchbook. I sigh before closing my locker and start walking in the opposite direction of the people next to my locker.

"Hey!" I hear someone yell from behind me. I turn around and lift my gaze to see a girl walking my way. I turn back around and continue my walk, knowing she probably isn't talking to me.

I hear quick footsteps and feel a quick tap on my shoulder, causing me to almost jump out of my skin.

"Hey, sorry, didn't mean to scare you but hi! I'm Clara Wells. It's nice to meet you..." She trials off waiting for my name.

"Emilia," I say avoiding her gaze.

"What's your last name? I don't mean to pry, I just know there is another new student too and he's a senior," She blurts out quickly. I stare for a moment before shaking my head.

"Y-Yeah, he's my older brother," I whisper, hoping this conversation ends soon. I don't want my brother to catch me talking to someone. Breaking the rules already? That probably wouldn't look very good.

"That awesome! I can show you to your first class if you would like? Here let me see," She say trying to take my paper. I pull it back with a forced smile.