Moment 4: "Purim 2018" (February 28, 2018)

Loki and I had met for another coffee date and due to the occasion it was, I surprised him with a specific snack that our favourite establishment was offering for a limited time.

"What is this?" Loki asked curiously, "On Midgard, I usually see baked goods in the shape of circles or squares. It's rare you see one as a triangle."

"They are called Hamantaschen," I said, "it's a type of pastry that's customarily consumed during the Jewish holiday of Purim which starts tonight. They can be made with a variety of fillings. These here are the traditional poppy seed."

"Mmm," Loki said, after taking a bite, "it's very good. Thank you."

"My pleasure. I'm glad you like it," I smiled.

"Please, could you tell me more about this Purim, Beverlee?" Loki asked, taking a sip of his beverage.

"Well, it all starts with the Story of Esther. I'll show you a summed up version of the story on my phone, so it's easier to comprehend. I might forget something." I called up the info on a trusted website, clicked to find the info on the menu, then handed my phone to Loki, "What's interesting is this story takes place in a kingdom."

He began to read the story intently, then after a minute or two, I could see an odd expression appear on his face. He pushed the phone back toward me in such a way I could tell something in the story had really affected him.

"Loki, what's wrong?" I looked at him with concern, "please, tell me."

"I-I couldn't help but think that, that... Haman seems a lot like me," he said nervously, staring at the table, his arms crossed on top of it.

"Why would you say that?" I asked as calmly as I could, shocked by his words.

"A man who was Jewish wouldn't kneel to him," he took a deep breath, "you may have been aware when I was in Stuttgart..." Loki swallowed uncomfortably, "there was a man who wouldn't kneel, and I almost..."

"But you didn't." I said, interrupting him, knowing exactly what he was talking about, "Captain America got there in time to prevent that."

"Still, I took the shot," he hung his head in shame, "I'm no better than Haman."

Part of me now regretted having Loki read the story, for it always hurt me to see him affected by things that would trigger unpleasant memories.

However, I also understood this was a good thing for his learning and growth.

I thought hard on how I was going to ease his mind.

Moving my chair to sit adjacent to him, I took both of his hands in each of mine.

"Loki, listen to me," I looked into his eyes, "this isn't how you are alike, it's how you are not," I took a deep breath, "you're feeling remorse for what you did in Stuttgart. Strange as it may seem, this is a good thing for you. Sure, it's a memory you're not proud of, but that's okay. You know better now than to do something like that again... At least I hope so." I said with a small smile. Loki returned the smile with a nod. I then let go of one of my hands to touch his cheek, "now Haman on the other hand. He doesn't feel remorse," then added with some levity, "and definitely not a people person. I don't know about you, but this is proof enough for me that you're better than Haman - in spades." I returned my hand to hold his.

"So..." Loki said, thinking out loud, "are you saying I'm a people person?"

"Well this 'people' thinks so," I said, releasing our hands and pointing at myself.

"Would this people also think I could have... another one of those Hamantashen?" he asked coyly.

"Of course," I happily smiled.