Moment 7: "Men's Health Week 2018"

(Note: This is a follow-up that happens after the events from "My Friend Loki: The Price You Pay." Read it first, then return to this moment for better understanding.)

I had just gotten home after my shift at work and was ready to make myself a cup of tea and relax when I heard a knock at my door.

It was my dear friend Loki standing on my doorstep. I had not been expecting him. By the deep frown on his face and his stormy eyes, I could tell something was bothering him.

"Beverlee," Loki said, "I hope I'm not intruding..."

"Of course not," I replied, "you're always welcome here."

I let him in, and as I closed the door, he went on a rant.

"Ha, you won't believe what the initiative requires of me now. A 'physical!' As if I, from beyond this realm, require the same as Midgardians. I hadn't thought SHIELD had that much of a sense of humour."

Seeing that he was still standing, I gestured for him to sit on the couch. He sat down and I walked into the kitchen.

"A physical, huh?" I said, as I pulled out a jug from the fridge, and poured us two small glasses of iced tea, "Despite what you've said, that's actually a good thing... for anybody."

Loki scoffed, "I never had to do this on Asgard. I won't submit to this."

Carrying the glasses of iced tea back to the living room, I placed them on the coffee table. I then joined Loki on the couch.

Looking at him closely, I tried to discern why he was so adamant about not wanting to cooperate.

"Loki," I said, thinking as I spoke, "everyone needs to have a checkup for their health some time or another," taking his hand, I looked into his eyes, "Are you concerned about this? You know many men here are... perhaps you aren't so different from those of Midgard."

Loki remained quiet for a moment. Then a sheepish expression appeared on his face.

"I can't lie to you, can I?" he said quietly and swallowed hard, "I've heard things about what's involved. They may be rumours but..."

"It's okay," I said, "you're not alone with those thoughts. For several reasons, a high percentage of men will avoid a trip to the doctor at all costs, even if they know it might help them. In fact, I just read an article today that men in my country are not as healthy as they should be, most of that attributed to not regularly seeing their doctor when they should have."

Loki now took both of my hands in his, "I'm not overly fond of the idea of having my body fully exposed and left open to be touched, in a cold and clinical - and even possibly invasive manner... along with parts of me being gawked at that I would rather keep private."

"I understand," I said softly, "believe me I do. But, we all have these parts. It's nothing to be ashamed of." Assessing his disposition, I added, "As well, you've had previous experience with Doctor Lowenstein, so you can trust him to be kind. You just have to make it clear that you will agree only if he does the tests."

Loki nodded, but it was clear that the anticipation and the fear of the unknown were still bothering him.

"Look, I know you're worried," I said, releasing my hand to touch his cheek, "so if you want, I can accompany you to your appointment, and be there in the exam room so you can feel more comfortable. "

"You... can do that?" Loki asked, incredulous.

"Yes, I can," I smiled encouragingly at him, "we know SHIELD has previously vetted me, and Doctor Lowenstein shouldn't have any problem." I suddenly had an idea, "You know what, I'm going to call Doctor Lowenstein. Let's find out what they really want from you."