Moment 11: "Vivian or Edward?" (Sept 29, 2018)

[Note: This is a follow up that happens after the events from "My Friend Loki: The Price You Pay." Read it first, then return to this moment for better understanding. It would also help if you watched the movie "Pretty Woman" (1990)]  

Friday. Late afternoon.

Loki and I had scheduled some time for him to come over to my place and stay for the weekend. We were more than excited getting together as he had just completed yet another tough assignment for the Initiative, and myself, another week of frustration and boredom at my workplace. We didn't have any specific plans except to just relax and enjoy each other's company.

I wanted us to have a good meal for supper - and for it to be special.

Earlier, I contacted my friend at the auxiliary SHIELD facility, Doctor Tom Lowenstein, asking him if his friend, Chef James Barber, could put together another charcuterie board for us. The first time Loki and I had sampled one, we thoroughly enjoyed it.

SHIELD wasn't exactly listed on the 'Skip The Dishes' app, but Lowenstein knew I rarely asked for such things. He also gave me all the support he could when it came to my dear friend, especially when it came to his wellness.

Lowenstein was only too happy to comply - he also knew whatever stimulus helped Loki was mutually beneficial to my wellness.

When Loki arrived at my domicile, he was holding a large bag with the containers of foodstuffs to assemble the charcuterie along with his other hand grasping the handle of his rolling suitcase.

He also had a sizable bruise on his cheek.

"Loki!" I said, my voice full of concern, "your face, are you..?"

"Beverlee, it's okay," Loki replied, "I'm fine. It happened on assignment. Believe me... it was much worse. Doctor Lowenstein assured me there would be no lasting damage. The bruise should be less visible by tomorrow," he smiled at me then winked, "you should see the other guy."

I returned his smile, then gestured for him to follow me into the kitchen. I took the large bag from him and put it in the fridge, as it was too early for supper yet.

We made our way back to the living the room and sat down on the couch. Instinctively, our arms wrapped around each other in a big welcoming hug.

"How's my clever girl?" He asked softly.

"Happier now that you're here," I replied, clutching him a bit tighter.

"Likewise," he whispered, one of his hands reaching up to stroke my hair.

Releasing the hug a little, I looked into his eyes, "how about I get us something to drink? We can sit outside and get some fresh air." I had a small patio at the back of my domicile, with a comfortable sectional couch. I was also lucky to be blessed with neighbours who had tall wooden fences so they could have their privacy as well as my own.

Loki nodded with a keen expression.

The days were getting cooler, but not so cool that it required more than a light jacket or hoodie. Loki had arrived wearing a green hoodie and I slipped on mine that was in grey. I brought out a tray with a large teapot complete with a cozy, and two teacups - along with a sugar bowl, a small pitcher of milk and spoons. Placing it on the patio table, by the sectional, I prepared us each a cup of tea made to our preferences.

One of the neighbours on the block was playing some opera music. I couldn't recognize the selection, but it was a piece that was slow, which made it perfect to have as ambient music to relax.

Handing Loki his cup, then taking mine, I sat down beside him and we simply sipped from our cups and watched the clouds roll by in the blue sky.

I looked at my friend and smiled to myself. It was times like these that reminded me of that old ad on TV with the slogan, 'it doesn't get any better than this.'