Chapter 2

It was the last day of the festival and the annual ball was that night. Leo had never been to a ball, but Jason was not going to take no for an answer this year and had even made a suit specifically for him.

Leo looked at himself in the mirror that was on the wall of Jason's chambers. Piper adjust the black bow tie around his neck. 

"There you go, all done." Piper said. 

"I look so clean." Leo said, running a hand through his hair. 

Piper and Jason laughed. "You look good."

For once, Leo's clothes weren't wrinkled or stained. His curly brown hair had been tamed a little before Jason and Piper had given up. His face and hands were scrubbed clean of the constant dirt and grease that always covered them.

"What do you think, Festus?" Piper asked, looking at Leo's bronze companion.

"Why, I don't think I've ever seen you look this good before, Master Leo." Festus replied.

Leo gave him a smile. "Thanks, buddy."

All of a sudden, a horn was blown, the sound coming from the ballroom.

"It's time. C'mon." Jason said. 

Jason offered his arm to Piper, which she placed her hand in the crook of his elbow before the four of them left to join the celebration. 

<<<>>>

Festus was acting as one of the servants so that he would be able to be at the ball and keep an eye on Leo. Leo also kept close to Piper and Jason as much as he could. 

"Announcing, Kelita, Princess of the Pirates." 

Leo looked up and was surprised to see Kelita wearing a black off the shoulder dress that stopped mid thigh. A black flower was around her waist, with an aquamarine streak along the rim, around the waist, down the sides of the dress, and along the borders of her sleeves. Her white was brushed over her shoulder, held by an aquamarine flower and was wearing fish net tights along with black combat boots. 

Everyone stopped and watched as she descended the steps. Her eyes scanned the crowd, when they landed on Leo. At seeing him, she smiled.

The crowd made way asd she made her way to Leo. The servant continued announcing other guest and the music continued as people resumed dancing. But Leo was well aware of their stares. 

"Glad to see you again, Leo." Kelita said, holding her hand out to Leo.

Leo took her hand in his and raised it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand. 

"Well, I must admit, this is my first ball, actually the first dance that I've ever been to." Leo admitted.

Kelita smiled as Leo lowered her hand, but didn't let go.

"At least you know the basic etiquette."

"Jason and Piper have taught me. Although, I'm surprised Pirates themselves know it as well, based on the  stories that I've heard."

"Well, how else do you expect us to be able to steal from the richest kingdoms beside this one."

"True."

"So, where is that robot of yours that almost beat my blasted half brother to a bloody pulp?" 

"Would you two like some champagne?"

Leo and Kelita turned and saw Festus standing behind them, holding a gold platter of glasses of champagne upon one out splayed bronze hand. Kelita smiled.

"There you are. You know, I never did get to say thank you for catching my brother for me." Kelita said, taking two glasses and handing one to Leo. 

"It was no problem, Your Highness. Besides, nobody messes with Master Leo without messing with me." Festus replied, giving her a slight bow before walking away. 

"Protective, I see. Percy's the same way."

"What did Triton steal from you anyways?" Leo asked. 

"Oh, he stole my magical rings that I got on my twelfth birthday from dad. I used them when Percy snuck up on me." She replied, downing the glass that was in hand, before placing it on a servant passing by's platter. 

Leo nodded absently, catching sight of Piper and Jason looking over at them. Piper winked at Leo. Subtly, he flicked her off. 

"So, are you going to ask me to dance or what?" Kelita asked, looking at him. 

Leo looked at her startled. "What?"

Kelita rolled her eyes. "I'm used to people looking at me and you're no exception. But they would have asked me to dance by now, which is kind of surprising. In fact, I'm sure that they would probably propose right away and skip the dancing."

Leo stared at her dumbfounded. Did she literally just ask him to dance? She smiled at him. Leo got over his shock and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. 

"I've never really danced before." Leo admitted. 

Kelita laughed, the sound as joyful as a child being thrown into the air and landing back in their parents arms, causing a few people close to them to look over more noticeably. 

"Really?" She asked, upon seeing Leo's flushed face.

Leo nodded. Kelita shook her head. "In that case, I'll have to teach you." 

She grabbed one of Leo's hands and placed it around her waist. They were standing so close now that Leo could smell the salty ocean on her mixed with a faint smell of mint. She placed her hand on his shoulder. Then with her other hand, she grabbed his and then they slowly began to sway back and forth, the smile never leaving her lips.

"It's that easy. Although, being a friend of royalty I expected you to know how to dance." Kelita remarked. 

"Well, like I said before, I've never been to a dance before." Leo replied. 

Kelita pulled away from him and raised their joined hands, spinning underneath and then out to the side before spinning back to him, her black skirt billowing out around her before settling back down before they resumed their gentle swaying. 

"I see. Well, as Pirates, we do more plundering than we do dancing, but as children, we are taught the basic etiquette as you already know to blend in as well as when we come here. And on our birthdays, we always have a party with a dance among the crew that lives on your ship." Kelita explained. 

"Kelita."

Kelita turned and was surprised to see Percy standing there. This caused Leo and Kelita to stop their dancing. 

"We need to go." Percy said. 

"Is something wrong?" Kelita asked, furrowing her eyebrows together. 

Percy leaned in and whispered something into her ear. Kelita's eyes widened. 

"Alright, I'll be right there." She said. 

Percy then quickly retreated through the crowd. The playfulness in Kelita's eyes disappeared. 

"What is it?" Leo asked. 

Kelita seemed to have forgotten that he was even there. 

"Nothing to concern yourself with. But I must go." She said. Then she surprised him as she leaned in and kissed him. Leo was too surprised to kiss back. Then she pulled away and ran after Percy.