Chapter Seven: Home Sweet Home

I saw Jason, his gun, and his face and I immediately knew what was going on. I pushed Carmen onto the couch next to us and I pulled my gun out and aimed it straight at Jason. My quick and fluid movement made him jump back a bit before putting his hands up and letting out a sickening laugh.

"So this is why you let me come." Jason shook his head slightly and sat down up on the dining room table, unblinking. I held my aim straight at his chest, heart pumping, hardly listening to his words.

"I knew you hated me a lot, sweetheart, but never thought you would drag me out here and put me down like a dog. What a new side I'm seeing of you." Talk, talk, talk... I took a deep breath to try and stop me from shaking. He was still holding the gun and was laughing like he'd been caught red handed.

Wait. My vision focused on his hand with the gun. Red. Blood red all over his hand and one side of the gun. Oh my god, what did he already do? I wanted so badly to run, even if I had my gun pointed at him, I didn't feel in control. Every instinct told me to bolt, but I remembered Carmen, helpless. I had to stand my ground.

"What the hell are you waiting for, sheriff. Shoot me up. I'm the bad guy!" Jason pulled his hands straight from him and waved them around. "Did you not hear me right? Shoot me right now since that is obviously your plan."

Shaking, so much shaking I had never even practiced with the gun, I only knew the safety and handling advice Will gave me. I didn't want to shoot anybody and I'd never pointed anything at someone with the goal to kill. I let my eyes flick down to my gun. Safety off, one pull if it came down to-

"SHOOT MY RIGHT NOW, SWEETHEART!" Jason yelled at me, snapping me back to reality and causing my finger to slip and pull. The gun pulled back violently and I shrieked and dropped it. My mind went a mile a minute, did I just kill Jason? I didn't even mean to, but I knew it would probably have come down to that...

"You didn't even do the job properly. Not even close." Jason was standing over me trying to grab my hand. I sat myself up, extremely confused.

"Well I guess you won the quick draw. Kill us already, you bastard." I spit in his face, but he didn't move. He just started laughing again. I glared at him as he grabbed his sides and cried with laughter.

"You thought I was going to try and kill you? What an idiot you are." Jason put out his hand but this forcibly pulled me up.

"What you expect when you come up wielding a gun and have blood on your hands?" I snapped at him and pulled my arm away.

Jason frowned and shook his head. "I went to my room to grab my gun so we were all properly armed. My gun was gone, so I knew something was wrong. I walked into my mom's bedroom and found her dead holding the gun. Happy now? My mom killed herself."

Jason stalked off into the hall way again with his backpacks, and I was left feeling like a jerk. I remembered the crap he always pulled to make myself feel less bad for the idiot, but I couldn't bring myself back to anger. No one deserved to lose a parent, and I knew first hand. I got Carmen some pain medication and started searching and packing.

I managed to find enough pillows for everyone and managed to stuff them all into one of the backpacks. I filled my other one with a couple of blankets I found and then some classic board games that everyone seemed to have. Monopoly, Clue, Uno, etc. I had started to get worried at that point because I hadn't seen any trace of Jason since he had stalked off.

I moved down the hall carefully and opened the door to what I believed was his room. He was on his bed, both backpacks of his filled up, and his eyes full of sorrow. "Jason. Are you okay?" He nodded, but I ignored it and came in at sat down next to him.