Untitled Part 17

Morning came faster than any of us would have liked it to. Our stomachs were twisted thinking about the fight ahead of us, and larger war it would undoubtedly lead to. Rae and I started on breakfast while Will went over the battle plan.

"We show up in the van and park it in the middle of street, leaving Evelyn and a gun inside the console. On one side, Carmen and Lydia will get the hostages free, while Drake, Rae, and I shoot from second story windows of buildings. If it comes down to it, Evelyn hits the gas and crashes straight into the other car... but that is only if the worst happens. Everyone got it?"

We all nodded, and while we cooked, the other's started packing guns, ammo, and medical supplies. We were glad to be able to be prepared this time. Prepared, planned, and ready. Or at least as ready as we were going to be.

Rae and I finished making breakfast in silence, and we sat down to eat. "Is everyone ready to probably die?" I asked, adjusting my cast my shoulder and looking around the room, and they all nodded without hesitation.

"We don't care what's going to happen to us." Carmen said smiling, "We follow you, Evelyn. No matter what the risk." Everyone else nodded and murmured agreement and it made me feel just that much better about the battle to come.

"Alright!" I said much louder and with much more confidence. "They have my brother, they have one of our own, and they tried to kill all of us. This is personal, and we need to show them that we are a force to be reckoned with!"

Everyone pumped their fists up in the air and yelled. "We are going to go down there, and do whatever we can to get our people back! If we are lucky," I said taking a deep breath and making a finger gun. "We can pop a cap right into Erik's bloated ego."

There was an even louder cheer for that idea, and I immediately knew that they had messed with the wrong survivors. After breakfast I did checks of our food and water. Our food situation was okay, but we were in need of more water. "I'll go fill the jugs." Carmen offered and set out.

Will was showing the girls how to reload a gun, since they went in completely blindly the last time. I counted ammo out and distributed it evenly between everyone. "We all have about 24 rounds to use, so make sure you use them carefully and conserve as much ammo as possible. Shoot to kill, chest, heart, head, whatever works." I said from behind where they were loading and reloading.

It was weird to say things like that, but it was war, and we didn't have time to simply adjust to this new life. We had to accept it fast and fight for our survival. Will nodded, "She's right. We can't show any mercy."

There was more agreement, but it felt sickly. None of us wanted to take any lives, but that's just what was going to happen. It was completely unavoidable.

After a while, Carmen returned with the water and started filtering. The rest of us had no idea what to do with ourselves, the anticipation of the afternoon to come was a lot. We would need better weapons and more ammunition if this became a full out war, but with the small deadline, we hardly had time to do that.

"We need to go get the car ready." Will reminded me as we were preparing to go to war. I nodded at him. "I was thinking you and I can go set that up while people get accustomed to their weapons."

Will and I both looked to everyone who was toying around with guns. Carmen, Rae and Drake were doing fine, but Lydia looked horrified holding it in her hands. "Yeah, they need some time to get used to the idea, we can go work on the car now."

Will and I set off up the ramp and through the newly built school entrance, which could definitely use some work, but was the best we could have done. Another scar the Black Cobra left on us.