Chapter 8: A New Meaning for Family

Our return to the school left everyone with a lot of relief, and a lot questions. It was a rush from the second we stepped into the gym and dropped our bags to when they moved us to the mats and sat listening to every detail of our trip.

Jason left out what happened with his Mom, and I left out the armband I had seen from across the way, but even without those haunting details the trip sounded dangerous and awful. Rae nodded at Jason's work on both Carmen and I, but he shrugged it off, told us his bags were over there for them to put away, and retreated into his tent.

Carmen decided that she was going to rest for a while and get off of her leg, but I had never felt like I had more energy and despite Rae's wishes, I decided to go walk around and just do something.

Lydia and Kiera informed me that they had managed to procure another four days of food according to what Drake said. I was surprised that Drake had been helping them, and looking around he was nowhere to be seen again.

I went to check the water conditions next and seeing the full tote of clean water and the milk jugs of river water made me extremely happy. Basic necessities were checked, and I was feeling pretty good.

I decided to go and start putting the supplies we got away, and Rae offered to come with me, and so the two of us carried over the six full backpacks to the storage area and started sorting.

"So did you see who shot at Carmen?" Rae asked, "I don't mean to pry but it definitely looked like you were hiding something earlier." I was surprised that Rae had picked up on it, but it was too late to hide it.

"He had a sniper rifle, was dressed completely in black, and had an armband with a cobra on it." I mumbled while going through the backpack Jason filled with hygiene supplies. Rae stopped what she was doing and looked at me.

"How come you didn't tell everyone?" Rae asked, confused. I took a deep breath.

"It was a little freaky, and I don't know everything about it, so I don't want to freak everyone else out unnecessary. Besides, if we need to leave the school again, how many volunteers do you think there would be if they knew if there were trained snipers ready to attack?" I said, spilling out a bunch of things I had planned to keep myself. Silently, I cursed myself.

"I would still go if you asked me to, Evelyn. I would do whatever you ask of me, alright, so whatever you need me to do, I'll do." Rae said and pat me on the back from the locker she was feeling and labeling.

I decided that the conversation was way to serious and I hadn't terrorized Rae enough recently. "Anything?" I said, hiding behind a locker door to hide my thin smile and what could have been nothing but a mischievous face.

I saw Rae nod vigorous while I returned to putting things away. "Alright, so then I do have one request. You start dating Will already and get it over with." I stopped what I was doing again to return my attention to Rae's face.

I had said the magic words, and Rae was beet red again, fuming off about how it wasn't like that at all and that I was being ridiculous.

"Rae, you are my best friend and if you think you can hide this from me you are insane." I said, half laughing at Rae's flustered look. Rae had never told me outright that she liked Will, but she had unknowingly hinted at it so many times that I knew the truth.

"Alright, fine." Rae said throwing her hands up and giving an indignant look. "I like Will, big whoop. The fact is, I am not talking to him about it. There is no way he likes me in that way. We are just friends."

That was it for me, and I fell back onto the bench in between the rows of lockers and I died laughing. The backpack of stuff that was on my lap slid off and I had tears in my eyes. Rae punched me in the arm, but I didn't stop until I had finally calmed myself down.