nine

"You go down the ladder," Namjoon said.

Soo Jin sighed. "I know how to play 'Candyland,' Namjoon."

"Just a reminder. You have a big attitude tonight."

"I don't have an attitude tonight."

"Yes, you do. What's wrong? You're always so hyper when I animal-sit you," Namjoon said.

"I can't help but think about what trouble Hoseok could get in near the future. His job is too dangerous, Namjoon. Besides, my species don't usually live past twenty-eight years. I'm 23-years-old!"

Namjoon patted her back while folding the boardgame in half to scoot closer to her. "It's okay, Soo Jin. I know it sounds horrible if I say this right now, but everyone's time comes. You know Hoseok loves you, right? He would never throw you away or trade for over for a new assistant. He'll be with you until the end of the line."

Soo Jin sniffled. "I know, I know, but it doesn't help that I will die soon. I only have five years with him. Five years seems like a long time, but it goes by really fast. Haven't you ever noticed that time goes by fast when you're having fun? Every day with Hoseok is an adventure filled with happiness. Before I even know it, it's suddenly time for bed, then I wake up and it repeats. On days where Hoseok isn't here with me, time goes by slowly and spend the whole day waiting for him to come back home. Each day, I'm doing something. Whether it be waiting for him or going out with him, I'm wasting my time doing something. I just want to spend all the time I have left with him. I love him so much, Namjoon."

"I know you do, Soo Jin," Namjoon replied. "That's why you need to tell him all of that. He'll understand."

"I do understand, Soo Jin."

Soo Jin and Namjoon looked up to see Hoseok by the door.

"What are you doing back?" Soo Jin asked.

"I forgot one of my props," Hoseok replied. "I'll delay the show tonight and give them half of the audience's money back. Can we have some time alone, Namjoon?"

Namjoon nodded, walking out the door. He smiled at Soo Jin before gently closing the door.