thirteen

[three days later]

Soo Jin threw up in the toilet. Her hair fell over her face and she gagged on whatever substance she had left in her throat. Hoseok immediately rushed over to her and held her hair. He had a worried expression on his face as he watched her gasp for air.

She heaved more heavy breaths before choosing to speak. She didn't want to hide it anymore. Her time was coming and there was no way to help her. Her cancer was incurable.

"Hoseok, I... I have cancer."

"What? This is a joke, right? You can't..."

"I do, Hoseok, I really do. I wouldn't joke about this. I love you so much, Hoseok, but...I'm incurable. I just..."

She trailed off, not knowing what else to say. Hoseok leaned back, his hand letting go of her hair. Her hair fell down and into the corners of her eyes.

Hoseok couldn't believe it. She seemed so healthy—minus the puking. She was as radiant and energetic as ever. Nothing seemed wrong with her.

"I know it's hard to believe," she said. "I'm so sorry I kept this from you. I didn't know how to tell you."

"Do you know how long you have?" Hoseok asked.

Soo Jin shook her head. "The doctor said there was no way to tell."

He leaned forward and cupped the back of her neck, then kissed her. Even with the taste of puke in her mouth, he still kissed her. He withdrew from the kiss with a slight tinge of disgust.

"I should have waited for you to wash your mouth," he said.

Soo Jin cracked a smile. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay, Soo Jin. Now that I know, I'll clear my schedule and spend more one with you. No more Magician. It'll just be Jung Hoseok and Soo Jin."