Chapter 21

My eyes became as wide as Frisbees. Me a f-f-fa-father. I was stupefied. I would have preferred it be when I’m older so I could have more maturity and a stable life with marriage involved. Not that I wouldn’t love my kid but I was afraid of being a bad father. I had never had a father figure in my life. What about Natty? Is she ready? I stared into her eyes and smiled. She grinned at me.

“That is great but are you ready?” I said.

“As long as we do this together I’m ready for anything”, she responded.

I held her in my arms burying my face in her hair. I kissed her hair softly. We were going to be parents. The more I said it the more real it became. I started to panic. Her father and brother are going to kill me for sure.

“Uh. Does your family know?” I asked.

“No but I’m afraid to tell them”, she said.

“I’ll stick with you all the way”, I encouraged.

When she grabbed her wallet we went to the waiting room. I was nervous as f*ck. Why do I always get into difficult situations? Both her father and brother hugged her as I stood by her side.

“We were worried about you”, Don Reyes said.

“No need for that dad. I want to give you guys news”, Natty said.

“What?” Marcos asked.

“I’m pregnant”, Natasha announced smiling.

Her father’s and brother’s eyes widened to an extremity. I saw her father’s face become a brilliant shade of red. I could see the steam coming out of his ears. Marcos whispered something into Don Reyes’s ear. His vibrant coloring went away slowly.

“I expect you to marry my daughter”, he said glaring at me.

I gulped. I took Natty’s hand in mine.

“I would gladly marry her if she wants me too”, I said.

“Dad, nobody is marrying anybody. I f we ever marry I don’t want it to be rushed”, Natty bravely said.

Don Reyes scowled. He clearly wasn’t happy. When we got out of the hospital we went to our home. Her dad and Marcos tried to convince her to go back to their house. She politely refused and chose to be with me. I still felt shocked that I would be a father. I took a shower wiping away dirt and grime. I settled down next to Natasha. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and she laid her head on my shoulder.

“How long have you been pregnant?” I said.

“A few weeks”, she replied.

“Do you think we’re cut out for parenthood?”

“Gustavo, as long as we do this together, it’ll be alright”.

“I hope so”.

“You want to play a game?” Natty asked out of the blue.

“Yeah”.

“Let’s do a staring contest. Whoever loses first has to do what the winner wants”, Natty brightly said.

“Ok”.

I stared into her beautiful eyes. I don’t know how long we stared at each other. I faltered and stared at her lips. She smirked.

“Ha ha, I win”, she teased in a sing-song voice.

I playfully groaned.

“What shall I do, my queen?” I said rolling my eyes.

She giggled.

“My first order is to kiss me”, she demanded grinning.

I cradled her head and tenderly kissed her lips. I lingered longer than necessary.