Chapter 1

@All Rights Reserved

"Put the package down!" the man yelled. 

I ran hard and fast not waiting for the drugdealer to catch up. I knew it was a risk to get the package full of drugs, guns, and money. I wanted to prove to the gang that I, Gustavo Gonzalez, could do anything. Sweat trickled down my forehead as I tried to find an escape. The heat pounded at me in Mexico City. I went behind a wall with graffiti on it. My heart hammered in my chest while I took in quick breaths. For as long as I could remember, my life had been full of tragedy. Only with my gang I feel like I have a family.

They respect me and treat me like a brother. My blood family was never really a family. It only had been my mother, my older brother, and me. My father had abandoned the family when my mother was pregnant with me. Now I only have my brother, Ramin, who is 2 years older than me. My mother had died of a fever about 3 years ago. I joined the gang after that. My bitter memories always haunted me. My mother sacrificed everything for my brother and me.

I knew better than to be with my brother. Ramin is in a rival gang. My thoughts returned back on the package. It is important to the gang. I peeked out from behind the wall to see if the drug dealer was still following me. The place was clear. I put the package under my arm and walked out cautiously aware of the danger I got myself in. All I could hear in the neighborhood was my sneakers crunching the gravel underneath. I still sweated in my white t-shirt. I jogged through a path that lead me to the gang's spot.

As usual they were all talking in the old parking lot. No one came here anymore so we took the place and it was behind and surrounded by abandoned buildings. They all stared at me and the package. They cheered and congradulated me. 10 people are in the gang, 3 girls and 7 guys. The leader of the group, Antonio, and Jose are my closest friends. The rest are just friends.

"Hey Gustavo. You proved again to be one of the best guys in the group. I still remember when you were 14 years old and you joined", Antonio said.

"Yeah. You're beginning to earn more respect from the other gangs", Jose said.

"I'm doing this for all of us. What is important to you guys, it's important to me too", I said.

"We're going to celebrate tonight. For now we got business to do my amigo", Antonio said with a serious tone.

Antonio always took the ones that he trusted most to those "business" meetings. He took Jose, Ricardo, and me. I got a gun like the others. I had killed 2 people before and I know how to shoot a person without missing. We waited until the night came and began to walk down in the streets. Antonio lead us into a dark alley.

The only light around is the lamp post in the corner. Everything seemed shadowy and it shouted danger. In dim light I saw 3 other people. One of them I recognized as my brother. Ramin saw me and froze. While Antonio negotiated with a guy, Ramin grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the street.

"You shouldn't be involved with this little brother", Ramin said menacingly.

"Why are you in it then?" I challenged him.

"I need the money to live and survive. What about you?" Ramin said.

"I needed a family", I said.

"I'm your only family", Ramin said darkly.

"No. A real brother wouldn't leave me to die since our mother died", I said.

Ramin's shoulders tensed along with the air around us. I knew that if I mentioned our mother it would hurt Ramin.

"I was younger back then. I didn't know what I was doing. Now I've seen things that have changed me. I know better", Ramin said.

"I have changed too. I'm no longer scared of many things", I said.

We stared at each other. We're the same in many ways. Both of us have dark black velvet eyes, dark brown hair, and we're both stubborn. Ramin has dark brown skin and looks older though. I have light brown skin instead. I feel angry with my brother. He still thinks of me as a litttle kid. I walked away infuriated. I heard my brother behind me trying to catch up.

My feet began to run. I didn't even know where I was headed. My eyes began to sting but I tried not to cry. Resentment, anger, and bitterness filled my thoughts. I heard his footsteps fade away. I found a dumpster and his behind it. No matter how much I tried to grow up I'm still a kid inside. I let myself calm down.

I began to build barriers around me. I got up up to leave. I didn't know where I was so I began to walk to the gang's hang out. A person jumped out and blocked my way out.

"Give me your money", he said.

"I don't have any", I said pulling out my pistol.

"Now run along before I shoot you", I said.

*comment*, *vote*, and *fan* if you want