Chapter 5

She saw me and waved at me. The girls with her looked at her like she was insane. I waved back at her and turned away to walk home. I heard Natasha calling me so I turned around and we bumped into each other. She almost fell so I caught her by the waist. I suddenly felt nervous realizing how close we were. I tried to act as if it was nothing but my heart and my mind said otherwise.

“Hey”, Natasha said practically breathless as she smiled at me.

“Hey. Were you running?” I said as I smiled.

“Yeah, I wanted to catch up with you”, she said.

“Why?” I asked raising my eyebrow.

“I wanted to walk with you”, Natasha said.

“Really?” I said surprised.

“Yeah, I wanted to hang with you”, Natasha said.

“Why?” I asked smoothly and confused when inside I was overjoyed of the idea.

“To get to know you better, silly”, Natasha said as she laughed.

Her laugh is beautiful and contagious so I started laughing. Then I realized I was still holding her. It looked like she noticed too because she stopped laughing and began to look nervous. I stared into her clear brown eyes that sometimes seemed to change color. I had a sudden urge to kiss her.

“Are we going to walk?” she asked breaking the moment.

“Yeah, sorry about that”, I said a bit nervous still wanting to kiss her.

I helped her stand up. Skin contact with her was like a piece of heaven. Man I think I’m whipped.

“Let’s go”, I said.

We walked around aimlessly talking about random things. She told me she has an older brother and she only has her dad. Natasha also told me that her mother died giving birth to her. She told me she wants to be a doctor. I told her about my mother and how she died. I told her I have an older brother but we didn’t talk to each other.

“Why don’t you guys talk?” she asked me.

“It’s complicated”, I said not wanting her to know the reasons.I didn’t want to tell her that I’m in a gang. I didn’t want her to know the things I did and do. It made me feel bad and unworthy of her friendship. I also told about my father. I surprised myself. I never really opened up with anyone. I felt like I didn’t want to keep secrets from her but I still had to keep to some. The only ones who knew everything about my past were Antonio and Jose. Now she knew a little. I’ve

dated before but I’ve never opened with them. Natasha was different. I began to trust her even though I’ve only known her for a while. Night came quickly. It didn’t feel that we were talking for hours. Time passed by fast when I was with her.