Chapter 15

We walked to Jose doing what we always did.

“Antonio it looks like we have more people wanting to join us”, Jose said.

“Good. Think of some ways they could prove themselves to us. Show them this isn’t a joke”, Antonio said.

“Okay”, Jose said.

“Before you know it the gang will be a big family”, I said.

“Yeah but that’s cool”, Jose said.

“Poor suckers”, I said.

“Why?” Antonio said.

“They’re going to have to pass hard tests to get in the gang”, I said.

“Yes because it’s the best”, Antonio said.

“You got that right”, Jose said.

We talked about the new people joining. I really am going to miss my people. I’m not leaving yet but I know I can’t stay forever. I guess I’m growing up. Antonio left before me. He had gone with the other people to go do graffiti.

I left after Jose had decided to go home. It was dark. Good thing is that I carry my own gun with me. It would be stupid to not do that. I heard someone following me. I wasn’t scared. I had protection. I saw Ramin, my brother, step out of the dark. To be honest I haven’t thought much about him. I’ve had a lot of things going on in my life. Was I ready to forgive him?

“Hey”, Ramin said quietly.

“Hey”, I said.

I couldn’t decide. I had to make things right. Right? At least I had to try. It’s never good to hold a grudge but sometimes it’s hard to let go.

“Have you thought about forgiving me and trying to accept me again?” Ramin said.

I looked into his eyes. I was surprised to find hope there. He might be my big brother but I’m not sure. I know I shouldn’t act like the victim. I guess in a way he was hurting too. What has Natasha done to me? Without realizing it I have been maturing. I knew my answer now. Ramin was waiting.

“I forgive you and I guess I could give it a try”, I said.

I immediately saw how that made my brother happy. Brother. A word that had become a bit foreign. I saw so much happiness it made my lips twitch upwards. What had happened to my brother? I wanted to know his story.

Somewhere inside me, I had always hoped my brother and I would be reunited like we were before our mother died. I could still remember many memories. Things wouldn’t easily be fixed but I’m sure we’d get there. Ramin hugged me.

I awkwardly patted his back. It wasn’t easy for me to accept him right away. He let go. I have to admit that I missed him. Ramin got out a pen and a piece of paper and wrote something. He handed me it and I saw it was an address and a phone number.

“Call me or visit. I really want to make things right with you. We have a lot to catch up on”, Ramin said.

“Yeah”, I said.

“See you around little brother”, Ramin said.

“Bye Ramin”, I said.

He walked away. I stuck the piece of paper in my pocket. I walked to Antonio’s house. I’m glad this happened. My life needs to change for the better. I entered my home and left my stuff on the couch. Antonio had made dinner. He was already eating. When he looked up I was blown away by all the sadness I saw. I sat down.