Chapter : 2

~•~ The Sacrifices ~•~

"Nothing hurts more than to give up your dear ones before cruel fate, just to compensate your mortal pledges unfulfilled."

|~•~•~•~|

Harsh Vardhan was nothing more than a mere peasant. He submitted his taxes on time, fed the Priests of the village temple a fortune at regular installments, abided by the rules and regulations of the King Tej always. He lived at the outskirts of the Southern Province's capital.

Life was always much fare to him. He had a small hay-hut over his head, he could manage two meals a day, he, along with his wife and kids had coarse, yet clean clothes to wear and two cows, which gave them an opportunity to earn a bit more and keep his kids engaged throughout the day.

But, a storm of a raged king was soon approaching them. That year, there was an attack of locusts, which led to the loss of crops even before they could ripe. But yet, they had to offer the king their due taxes. Their generous king decided to cut the taxes a bit, but couldn't lessen the amount much fearing of the other provinces feeling offended by the gesture.

The richer farmers who had enough money to stock their crops or had a successful business other than farming, could pay the taxes. Whereas, poor farmers as Harsh Vardhan, could only give up his possession to pay the taxes. The possession could be anything, his house, his cows, his lands, even his family members. Poor Harsh Vardhan could only pray for God's mercy.

• • • • •

'My King!', Shakti, the Governor in charge of the Northern Province, bowed his head down before the King, kneeling, 'Our old section of soldiers has been acquainted according to their performance and skills, and we need fresh trainees.'

Northern Province was the nest for the novice soldiers. They were trained hard in there and the extreme weather also helped in increasing their physical abilities.. Shakti was in charge of the whole training process, a great warrior himself, he had now the three young princes training under his wings.

Tej tapped his chin thoughtfully. Suddenly he remembered that some villages would not be able to pay the taxes this year.

'Shakti, go to the villages outskirt of the castle and main city. I will issue a notice there that when you get in there, you find fresh young kids from distressed families to choose for your newest battalion, who would be serving my immediate next generation.'

'Aye, aye my king!!', Shakti left.

• • • • •

'Mercy my lord! Its all your wish Almighty. Just don't break us beyond repair, I beg you God, I beg you.', Harsh Vardhan kissed the ground before his little Shiva Idol.

A loud knock broke the pace of the mantras he was chanting. His wife came to him running.

'The tax-collectors are here!', she announced.

Harsh Vardhan genuflected for once last time, 'everything you wish for our good, God.'

Coming out, he gave out his little savings from the surplus crops.