Chapter : 4.3

She had to fight even for the breaths she took, fight was the only solution to win the battle of survival.

4.3 | The (secret) Royal Guard |

~*~*~*~

It have been five years since you left for Southern Province, prince. Hope you have learnt well your kingly duties from your father in these years-

'Gauri, its time. The king and the princes have arrived', Shakti stood by her cell's door and lifted the torch of fire in in hand.

She feebly looked up from the ground she was sprawled on. Her whole body was bruised and her eyes were blinking rapidly to adjust the sudden glow of fire. She was locked in this dark cell for God knew how long, and lights were completely forbidden along with that. She wasn't fed and was whipped sixty times a day to make her weaker.

'Favourite knight, why did you arrange these?', she whimpered.

'I'm sorry child, but the king has come here for your final test, and choose the best ones for his sons', Shakti opened the gate of the cell and gestured her to follow him.

'Sons?', Gauri asked him confused, limping behind.

'Yes. His majesty has decided to pass the three provinces to his three sons, as he informed me the last time we met. This decision is still confidential, His Majesty has kept it secret till the coronation ceremony of the princes. Even the princes don't know which land would they receive', Shakti stood behind a dilapidated door of rotten wood, holding Gauri's hand in a death grip. In these fifteen years since she had arrived in the Northern Province, she had become the soul daughter of Shakti and he didn't hesitate to share the confidential information about the court and the states. Sometimes, her remarks were pretty helpful to make decisions.

Gauri could hear the faint whistles and cries coming from the crowd. With her exploration experience, she knew she was in the theatre of battles.

'All the best Gauri', Shakti handed her a rusted knife and kissed her bloodied forehead, 'Kill!'

Two royal guards came to hold her by her forearms. 'Time to get punished, you filthy traitor', they spat at her.

Well, Shakti had fed the royal guards this fake information about Gauri, so that she could be taken to the theatre of battles to show her skills.

Shakti ran up to King Tej in a lightening speed and leaned at his ear whispering, 'The traitor coming to entertain you, is the next trainee as a secret guard', with that said, he casted a sideway glance at the princes, who had two girls by each of their sides and the girls were busy in pleasuring them. They were laughing heartily and occasionally sipping the intoxicating beverages the girls served them.

Gauri was thrown in the grand clearing. It was covered in thick layer of snow and the sunlight reflected on it, almost blinded her eyes which were unaccustomed to the light for a long time. Blood dripping from her cuts seeped in the gravels of snow and reddened them, earning pitiful gasps from the crowd at her condition.

A herald blew an ivory trumpet and barked, 'This woman, Maliha, is our captive since she was caught while exchanging vital information of our kingdom with the enemy kingdom.. Since His Highness King Tej is here, Our Governor, Army General Shakti have decided to punish her in a fight. If she wins the fight, she will be gifted her life, or else, she would die.'