Chapter : 6

A ruler, who is kind, compassionate, and popular.. Is not what a bunch of rogues need.

6 | The Welcome Ceremony |

~*~*~*~

'What happened to you?', Gauri whispered in Shakti's ear worriedly and hurriedly looked around before springing back to branch she was settled in.

Shakti cleared his throat to snap the crowd out of their daze, 'I guess all of you must be curious to know what happened to us, or do you know already? Just look at yourselves, your King haven't ruled for a day and you sent a bunch of rogues so that he dies even before he reaches his Province! But, don't worry, the traitors' corpses would be very useful for the hungry wolves and snow leopards in the forest. Now, let our King enter his palace', he kicked the belly of the horse sideways to make it run fro and Omkara too followed him.

Northern Province has become my home in these years, but still I can't help loathing them for their savageness, I'm so relieved that you could save yourself, my King, Gauri shook her head in despair and sneaked in the secret passage through which they entered the dungeon for the first time.

• • • • •

'Hail the King Omkara of Northern Province of Isilwane!', the herald of the court announced, and a heavy trumpet was blown to welcome him, which shook the throne room.

Omkara entered the court with steady steps, dressed in a red mantle and black robe detailed with intricate gold wires. On his head, was the amethyst crown bestowed upon him by his father.

He got onto his throne, and motioned his sword from up to downwards, silencing the officials of his court. Clearing his throat he said, 'Let the Court begin'.

Gauri was hiding behind a curtain hanging from the pillar just behind the throne. She was standing tiptoed on the bar with detailing of carved stones, at the top of the two storey high pillar, where it met the ceiling. Omkara was seeming as a tiny doll to her due to the great distance, but to her advantage, she was getting a bird eye view of the whole throne room. And with that, she saw some unknown faces in the group of dancers gathered at the far end of the balcony of the throne room. Eye signalling Ranveer and Dandi, she snuck towards the women.

Omkara was observing the way Shakti had schemed the ruling. He was accordant with him in most of the cases, so he decided to go on with the old system and put his observations on this later when necessary.

The dusk was approaching and the court was dismissed. Omkara walked behind Shakti towards his new bedchamber. It was a huge room, its roof pyramidal. Intricate gold murals covered the pyramid, and a bar of murals ran along the border of the roof and the walls. An enormous window opened towards the pine forest at the bay of Northern Province. Behind the forest, was the DragonLand, one of biggest threat to his kingdom. Sighing at the forest he turned back at his room. Smooth grey stone walls shone in a golden glow by the flames of incense candles. With heavy steps, he flopped on the enormous bed at the middle of the room. At the bedside tipoy, there was a fruit bowl and he picked up an apple. The bed was soft, fluffy, covered with feathered pillows and animal furs. There was no curtain surrounding the bed to provide the king privacy, and Omkara was thankful for it. He didn't like having his way with his concubines, hiding behind the curtains.