Chapter : 11

To never give up, is the way of achieving our cravings.

~***~

11 | A Concocted Story|

"His majesty has arrived!"

Shakti blinked his eyes open, his health seemingly a bit better than it was when he was rescued. Thus, he tried to sit up the moment the arrival of the king was announced.

"Please, general lie down. I know, you still haven't recovered fully. So, I grant you refraining from paying respect till you heal completely. And as for court, I will able to handle things on my own, you need not worry", Omkara smiled in assurance.

" Thanking your majesty for the magnanimity."

Omkara looked around the bedchamber, his eyes narrowed down upon the bowed heads of palace maids and eunuchs. He grumbled out, "Leave."

Shakti let out the breath he was holding. So, he noticed. Turning at Shakti after the palace maids and eunuchs left, he asked, "General, do you have any idea about the regicidal attempt that took place last night?"

Shakti nodded. Very slowly he squeezed out the words, " Your majesty, it was a brave soldier..." He narrated the whole story just as Gauri planned, just putting in the fact that he was the one who planned it.

But Shakti felt his soul almost leave his body when Omkara's already sunken face turned red slowly in anger. He coughed before adding, "Y- Your majesty..."

"So, you say, that, when they took you as their hostage, you got to know about their plan and arranged for someone to stop the assassination attempt beforehand", Omkara rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

Suddenly, his eyes flickered over as something clicked like to puzzle pieces in his mind. If I see that person again.. He chuckled as countless possibilities ran through his head like flashes of lightening.

" Such a watertight alibi, I cannot prove that my suspicion is not baseless, you put me in a difficult position general", Omkara tapped the corner of his bed, "I guess I'll have to bid you goodnight then, take care."

He strode out of Shakti's bedchamber with a mischievous smile tugging at his lips. He didn't know what his general was keeping from him, but the thought of chasing the wild goose guess seemed fun.

"Take care of the general properly", he sternly commanded the eunuch at the door, " I will send some medications later."

"Yes your majesty", the eunuch bowed with his right fist touching his left shoulder. He let out a shaky breath when Omkara's footsteps no longer could be heard.

Finally, out of the lion's paws!

Shakti, however couldn't be any better. If possible, his mental condition turned worse. He shakily raised his palm to wipe the cold sweat that broke out on his skin.

Did his majesty suspect something? Was he trying to pry for more information? Does he have more capable informers? Will he find out about her?

"He wouldn't have asked you if he knew about me beforehand. You truly are getting old, favourite knight", a small, cold palm caressed his creased forehead.

" You are slacking off again; just how many times do I have to remind you that I have enough servants here to take care of me", Shakti held the palm with a helpless sigh.

"Dandi and Ranveer are on duty tonight. I am sick of their continuous teasing whenever I go for my patrolling. Today, I want to see if they also enjoy what they see! Humph!", Gauri gave a pout and stubbornly looked away.

"You will never grow up, will you?", he affectionately patted her palm which was rested on his forehead.

" Whatever", Gauri slowly started to unwrap the bandage at his shoulder, he hissed every time the thin fibres from the wrapping cloth stuck to the half scabbed wound got pulled. Finishing the redressing of his wound, Gauri stroked his forehead for sometime more till he fell asleep.

From the window of Shakti's bedchamber, entered the pale white rays of moonlight, the curtains swaying lightly as night breeze wafted in. Gauri looked at the crescent moon and sighed, My king, are you really that desperate to know about me? What's there to achieve even if you find out the truth, at the end, I will be here no more. Her brows scrunched up at her thoughts, Then again, does it really matter if I remain alive or not? She stood up and left his bedchamber and reached the tower where Omkara slept. She groped a vine that reached by his window and leaned against the windowsill, hiding herself under the thick curtain of leaves. It was late winter and the wind was freezing, though there was no trace of snow. She looked down at the guards station beneath her. If they could overlook her, then they would miss the spies of other kingdoms too. But even if someone tried to enter the royal bedchamber, they would have to confront her. Yes, that's perfect.

She was trying to relax her weary muscles as she leaned against the windowsill, but the lewd noises coming from inside the bedchamber and the squeak of the bed kept her wide awake.

Inside the bedchamber, Omkara was going on a rampage. Tonight, he took in a new girl of very short stature and that poor thing kept on whining pitifully. Omkara was never a compassionate person, once his fun was ruined, he would go on a rampage. As the girl was 'escorted back' by the maids, he smashed some small artifacts near his grip and stormed towards the window to breath in the chilly night air. His robe was flung open, layered over the floor and his hair fluttered gently as the the wind blew in from the forest behind his castle.

"I know this was a lie. But general left no path open for me to find you", Omkara muttered with a mirthless chuckle that chilled the hearer's spine.

Gauri gulped sensing his silent rage. Seems like my days are shortening in a faster rate, his majesty is very offended this time, I guess.

Where are you little one, are you trying to play with me? If yes, then count me in, two can play this game of hide and seek, his smirked. If anyone saw him right now, they would probably faint from fear.

§ Side Theatre §

Dandi: Did you see them? Ahahah... I'm never going to let Gauri come here!
Ranveer: Quit being such a pervert! Do you understand, how she feels after seeing things like this?
Dandi: (Grins like a maniac) That's more of a reason to not let her come! Now we can have some entertainment in our veg life.. (Ranveer raises his fist aiming Dandi).. Wait! Wait! Don't try to act like a saint! I know you like what you see (Dandi nudges Ranveer, wiggling his brows).
Ranveer: We can think of excuses for gauri then, *ahem* *ahem*
Dandi: Yes! Yes! (Does ✌ with a huge 32 teethed smile)

§ § § § §

Like, six months maybe? Don't know why, just suddenly felt like, "okay, let's do this and finish this story!", and, here's the new chapter! This story will be slow paced, but I wish to complete it, so, how about showing me some support by giving some votes 🌟and comments 🗨???

~ Happy reading!
   With love,
   Sarani.