Chapter 9 - Home

Soon a year had passed. It was Kaleb and I's first anniversary today. With the way he was acting today I knew he had something big planned. I mean come on, he wouldn't let me go back home. He was remodeling the apartment or something and I really hoped he had gotten Erin's approval or she would kill him. "Kaleb can we please go back to the apartment? We've been out and about since five this morning. It's three now. I'm tired. I want to go home and take a nap." He ignored me and kept pulling me through the mall. I groaned loudly and stopped my foot like a child. "I'm tired," I whined. Yes, I've resorted to whining. It was Saturday and he woke me up at four-thirty. At four-freaking-thirty. He turned and looked at me and I started to think maybe we were going home before he turned around and continued to drag me through the mall. I wasn't even allowed to buy anything. I groaned loudly again. Maybe if I acted enough like a child, he'd be embarrassed and he'd take me home to punish me for being a bad girl. I shivered at the thought and warmth pooled low in my belly. Stop being a pervert in the middle of the mall, Kathryn. I was too busy scolding myself that I didn't realize he had stopped and I ran smack into his back. "Ow my nose." I was rubbing my nose when he turned and smiled at me. "We're here." I looked past him to see Kelly's Jewelers. A jewelry store? He woke me up at four thirty this morning for a freaking jewelry store? I stared at him in disbelief. "I've got to pick something up. Wait here." He sat me on the bench, gave me a stern look then turned to enter the jewelry store. 

He better not propose. I'll say no just to spite him. What? I'm kidding. I'll say no because I'm not ready, but I'll tell him it was just to spite him. I groaned for the umpteenth time before seeing my boyfriend exit Kelly's. "Come on babe, time to go home." I shot up in a second. "Are you serious? Home?" I was so excited for my nap. I was getting grumpy. He grabbed my hand and started leading me to the exit, but instead of dragging my feet, I was skipping along next to him. "I'm going to get a nap. I'm going to get a nap. I'm going to get a nap. I'm going to sleep all day. I'm excited for my nap." I sang the whole trek out of the mall and to the car.

"Kaleb, where are we? This isn't the way to the apartment." Silence. "You missed our turn, again." Silence. "Hello? Earth to my boyfriend?" Again, more silence. "Are you going to kill me? Is that my year anniversary present? I'm not ready to die." He snorted in laughter. Finally a reaction. "I'm not going to kill you." "Then where are we-" he cut me off. "We're here." He pulled into a long driveway and into a garage. "This isn't our apartment." "I know." He got out and came around my side to open the door. As soon as I got out I noticed the black Altima sitting in the other half of the garage. "Uh, baby, why is my car here?" He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the house. "Welcome home baby." My jaw hit the floor. "Home? The apartment is home. This isn't-" He kissed the back of my hand. "I bought this house for us. This is our home now. Not an apartment that we share with your best friend. It's a three bedroom three bath, two thousand square foot house. The bedrooms, two bathrooms, and laundry room are upstairs. Everything else, including the third bathroom, are here on the first floor." I stared. Jaw officially on the floor. Eyes bulging out of my head. "Happy anniversary my love."

I stared at him. Just stared. Speechless. He bought us a house. He bought a freaking house. I knew the job as head accountant was a definite pay increase but I didn't realize it was enough to buy and pay off a house. I can't believe he bought us a house. It's only been a year. "Kate?" Does he plan to propose soon? Is that why he went to Kelly's earlier? This has got to be why I was kept away from the apartment all day. "Hello? Earth to Kate?" I looked at him. "Huh?" "What do you think?" I thought hard about my answer. I didn't want to hurt his feelings but honestly, I don't know. "I, uh, it's a big deal. I like the thought but I really hope you don't plan to propose because I'm really not ready for that and you took forever in Kelly's-" He laughed. Was he seriously laughing at me? "I went to Kelly's to get my watch fixed. See?" He held out the arm with his watch and I noticed the couple diamonds that had been missing had been replaced. "Oh," He smiled.