Chapter 12 - Boxes

I woke up the next morning with a horrible headache and a stiff and puffy face from all the crying. For a moment though, I had forgotten what happened the day before. I didn't wake up with my heart hurting, just the weight of an arm over my waist. Then reality set in and my heart started to hurt, and I realized the pressure on my waist was Alex and not Kaleb. His hand was rubbing slow circles against my belly. It was weird but soothing.

"Kate? Are you awake?" My mouth felt so dry; I wondered if my response would actually come out as a sound. "Yeah," I croaked out. "Good. How are you feeling today?" He asked carefully, like if he said it any louder or more forcefully, I'd break. "I'm alive, and that's what matters," I mumbled. "Kate, about last night," he trailed off leaving awkward silence. "I'm sorry that I asked you for that. And I thank you for telling me no. I'm beating myself up about it all ready." He pulled me back towards his chest and held me tightly. "I mean, it's not like I didn't want to, because I really wanted to. But I knew you just wanted to feel something other than that heartbreak." I nodded. He's right. 

"Let's get some breakfast and then we can go pick up the rest of your things, okay?" "Okay. I just want cereal." I got out of bed and followed Alex down the hall. "You're going to eat more than just cereal. I'm thinking french toast, orange juice, and some bacon." I gagged. The thought of real food made my stomach want to detach from my body and run the other direction. "Oh...kay, cereal it is." Alex looked at me a little funny as he poured my cereal. 

"You're not gonna stop eating and drop a bunch of weight, are you?" I shook my head no as I ate. "I'm just not feeling real food right now. I'm still nauseous, and real food will make me sick." He just nodded. "Alrighty then, when you're done eating go get changed and meet me down in the parking garage." I looked at him questioningly. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" He looked at my tank top and shorts for a moment before replying. "Nevermind, we are just going to get the rest of your stuff. Well, go get your shoes on, let's go." I slipped on the flip flops I had left at the door and followed him down to the parking garage. 

"It's that one over there." He pointed to the sleek, black Tahoe that sat towards the back of the parking garage. "That should be big enough if I put the seats down, right?" I nodded and followed him to the truck. The inside was so clean that it could have been sitting on the dealer's lot and not a parking garage. It still smelt like a new car, and the leather had no scratches or discolorations. It was in pristine shape. "Where's the house at?" "2115 Blue Bill road. Just outside of town." "Hmm." "What?" He didn't take his eyes off the road. "That's a nice neighborhood for an accountant's pay." I didn't look at him and instead stared out of the window. "My dad promoted him to head accountant six months ago." "I see, that makes more sense." 

When Alex turned onto our road, my stomach dropped. "You've got me, Kate. I won't let that asshole anywhere near you, I promise." "You can't do that. He can still keep you from entering; it's his house. So, you have to be nice, or he'll kick you out, and I'll be alone with his lies." He sighed defeatedly. "Fine. I'll be good." He pulled into the driveway, and I pulled my keys out of my purse. I took a deep breath, then got out of the car. 

I was entering the closet when I heard the front door slam. "Kate?! Honey?! Are you here?! Is that Alex's truck? I swear to God if he's in my house." I heard the footsteps come running up the stairs. "Kate!" Kaleb burst through the bedroom door to find Alex guarding the closet door with his arms crossed. Anybody with common sense wouldn't mess with someone who looked like that; if looks could kill; I'm sure Alex's look would incinerate Kaleb on the spot. "Get out of my way, Kingsleigh," he spat. "Nah, I'm gonna stand right here and make sure you can't go near her or touch her." I ignored the both of them and kept packing my things into boxes leftover from when Kaleb moved us here. "Kate, please, let me explain." Alex scoffed. "Explain what dude? She caught you in the act, in her house, in her shower, there's nothing to explain." I could hear Kaleb's growl. "Like you're any better. You cheated too!" Alex laughed. "I have never lied to, or cheated on Kate. My father set me up to make it look like I cheated, and I have proof of my innocence. So, looks like it was just you." I finally said something. "It's true, Kaleb."  Kaleb grumbled something I didn't hear and then tried to shove past Alex. "Look, dude," Alex grunted as he pushed Kaleb back. "She doesn't want you anywhere near her."