Chapter 6 - Broken

I don't know how long I laid on the couch crying. Erin had come home and found me. She thought it was Kaleb's fault and was ready to kill him. The only time I had spoken was to tell her it wasn't him. She had called him and now he's here. They've been sitting against the wall staring at me, while I stare at the wall just above their heads. I wasn't ready to tell Kaleb. I could tell Erin but she went and called him before I had the chance. I glanced down at her. She looked so worried. She was biting her nails. She never bites her nails, but she knows somethings wrong because I don't do this. I'm a suck it up I'll deal with it later kind of girl. I glanced at Kaleb. It hurt to see him that worried. We'd been together for almost a month now. I know he really cared for me and I really cared for him. That's why I'm dying inside. I sighed and both of their heads snapped up to look at me. I made eye contact with both of them, and then I sat up and I spoke.

"What I'm about to say is going to be fúcked up. And it's going to hurt you Kaleb and I'm so sorry, and I'm hurting so please no harsh words." My voice was raspy from screaming at Alex and Kaleb looked surprised but they both nodded silently. "Alex came over shortly after Kaleb left. I was trying to shut the door and he told me he had something to say and he needed me to listen and when he was done he'd leave me alone. So of course, I agreed. So that I could finally move on and be happy with you, Kaleb" He smiled ever so slightly but it didn't reach his eyes. "Alex told me how his dad had set it up to make it look like he was cheating on me so that I would leave him. His dad lied to him and told him he was drugged and that's why he didn't remember cheating. But a month ago, about a week before we started dating Kaleb, Alex overheard his father bragging to his buddy about how he broke up his son and his son's bitch of a fiancée." I sobbed and bit my lip to get myself under control. I could see Kaleb breaking. "Alex had recorded proof. I know his dad didn't like me because I suggested merging our companies and his dad hated the idea of it. I told Alex I didn't believe him, but after a while, I realized I did. His dad is that kind of man. He would do something like that, even to his own son. I told Alex it was time to go and he said he had one more thing and then he'd leave. So I said fine." I took a deep broken breath and the tears started rolling. I had to continue.

"No sooner than the word had left my mouth he was kissing me. I was shocked so I didn't react at first. But the fire that burns through me when Alex touches me overwhelmed me. And I was hurt and confused and I didn't know what to do so I kissed him back." Kaleb's eyes teared up and I was breaking. I was half sobbing and ugly crying. My still bruised face hurt. "It couldn't have been more than seconds before I pushed him off of me. And I screamed at him to get out of my fúcking house. And he did. I broke after that. He dug every feeling about our breakup to the surface and he ripped open my newly closed wound. How you guys found me is how I had been since he left." I stopped talking. I'm almost positive they couldn't understand me through the sobs. But the look on Kaleb's face is what told me he did, and what killed me the most. Erin looked sad and violently angry, but Kaleb looked worse than if I killed his puppy. I was full blown sobbing now. 

"I'm...so...sorry...Kaleb," He stood up and it looked like he was going to leave so I squeezed my eyes shut so I didn't have to see it. The couch dipped beside me and for a second I thought it was Erin until strong arms pulled me into their lap and that slow sweet warmth started radiating through me. I buried my face in his shirt and just cried. He smoothed my hair and whispered sweet nothings into my ear until I had calmed down enough to listen. "Kate, I forgive you." I looked up at him and he wiped my face ever so gently. "I knew you still loved him when you agreed to be my girlfriend. And I knew with all his teasing that you'd get confused and that this would happen eventually. I had hoped it wouldn't but I knew it would. I'm glad it didn't go past a kiss and I'm glad you pushed him off. I'm glad you realized it was wrong. I can see how hurt you are by him and how torn up you are that you 'betrayed' me. But baby girl you're forgiven." He smiled sweetly at me. I don't deserve him. I couldn't say anything or I'd start crying again but I hugged him tightly to try to get my point across.