Chapter 2 - Recruit

King Ali, Adam, and the General left the oracle in embarrassment. They could hear the whispers of gossip about how Adam was disrespectful, the king was unjust, and the General had lost to a man who was at least ten years younger than him. A mere rookie!

"Now, how can you be of help?" asked King Ali humiliated.

The General looked at Adam. This young man was destined for greatness. Then he looked pleadingly at the king. "Forgive me, my king., but I think you'll have to realize this sometime. Adam has potential."

King Ali looked at the General in disbelief. How dare the general side with Adam! "I don't believe you! How dare-Don't you know-But...." King Ali was for once, speechless.

But he had his mind in the right direction, that was for sure. It was certain blasphemy to allow a prince with no brother on a deadly mission, which the King knew it was. And even if Adam didn't have a brother, he was the king's son, so King Ali had all rights to restrict and limit him as much as he pleased.

The General made a huge mistake, thought King Ali. It's a whimsical action to try and oppose me, mostly in front of my son! I'm his role model and I am obligated teach him that as king, no man can force me to do anything! And how dare Adam act with no manners to me at all! I'm his father and I need to teach him that I am!

Adam felt much gratitude to the General. He knew the General was doing this to reward him for the win, but this made Adam feel indebted.

General Yasir said, "But I also have an idea that I hope will satisfy you. If Adam comes with my mission and is part of my army, you'd be satisfied knowing he's safe, right?" The General gave raised an eyebrow advertising an if-you-know-what-I-mean look.

Adam looked at Yasir than at his father. There was something secret going on and Adam wished he knew what it was. Of course, there were multiple times Adam had known that his father knew something secret about the government, but Adam was never able to make his father confess on what it was. His father always said, 'when you become the King of the Empire, then I'll let you know every detail about the foreign affairs, economic status, military power, secret branches, and more, but until then, get out of my business!'

But, this secret didn't seem to be about the government at all! Adam was amazing at reading expressions, analyzing, and connecting ideas. He didn't brag about it but it was widely known through his close friends and family.

"No! I have an idea." The King's face was purple and he was clearly very angry. "If you're going, then I will go with you." The General and Adam said many reasons not.

"No, my king. The Empire needs you," said Yasir.

"And I don't need to be babysat." said Adam. He despised how his father was so protective.

"What if there is a crisis?" asked Yasir.

"Don't be like this, Father," pleaded Adam.

"It is the only way," concluded King Ali.

"Please, Father. I beat the one you assigned the highest rank in the military," begged Adam.

The General looked at Adam.

Adan scratched the back of his neck and sheepishly said, "Sorry, I must've forgot my manners."

The General just shook his head while smiling. He then went with the King to a corner away from Adam. He whispered to him and the king whispered back. Finally, they came back to Adam.