Chapter 4 - Don't Judge By a Look

They traversed the alleys of the Capital with difficulty. There were so much people and business stands that the streets were filled. Finally, after a few minutes, they passed the market areas of the Capital and the road became a lot less congested. "So, who's next?" asked Yasir.

"An ax man by the name of Mahfouz," replied Adam.

"And tell me about him."

"He's very big, but also shy. We tease him for having a squeaky voice."

"That does not sound like a warrior to me, more important, an ax holder."

"He is a warrior. Trust me, General."

"What did I tell you? Call me Yasir."

"Fine, Gen – I mean – Yasir."

"He lives at the back of the city, you said?"

"I did."

"Then why are we not there yet?" The forest that indicated the end of Capital city was just a mile away and there were only a dozen houses.

"He lives just over there." Adam pointed at a small house that was the closest to the forest.

"His parents are there, too?"

"His father. His mother was murdered."

"By who? A drunkard?"

"No, it was a sane – but evil - man. I can't remember his name. It's on the tip of my tongue."

"Was it Varouk?"

"Yes, that's it! I hate that father of a devil!"

The General looked uneasy. He kept sneaking glances at Adam.

"Has he done anything to you?" asked Adam curiously.

"Not me," said the General looking at Adam straight in the eye.

"Adam!" yelled a high-pitched voice.

It was a dark-skinned young man. He was short and chubby with a small afro on his head. He looked to be about six and a half feet but his afro was about three inches, so he was just over six feet. "And sir," he said to Yasir.

"Hello," Yasir said back. He shook Mahfouz's hand. "My name is Yasir."

"And I am Mahfouz." replied Mahfouz.

"And I know from Adam," said Yasir while making a gesture to Adam.

"Why are you here?" asked Mahfouz curiously to Adam.

"I don't get a handshake?" asked Adam.

Mahfouz sneaked a glance at the General, clearly embarrassed, then shook Adam's hand. So, Adam's right; he is shy and easily embarrassed too, thought the General.

"So, why did you come?" asked Mahfouz again with his unusually high-pitched voice. Adam smiled. He couldn't tell why, though, because Yasir talked first.

"We came to recruit you." said the General.

Mahfouz jumped in excitement. "REALLY?! OH, WOW!", then seeing the confused face of Yasir, Mahfouz asked, "To the rescue missions?"

"Yeah," said the General, still weirded out by an ax holder having not only a squeaky voice, but a kid mentality. Mahfouz had literally jumped because of knowing that he was coming. It was doubtful to Yasir that Mahfouz was an ax holder, because ax holders usually were serious, grumpy, and taller than 8 feet.