Walks, Visits and Fathers Oh My!

I sat next to Sasuke, clasping my coffee mug tightly as my father and Hanabi sat across from us. It was uncomfortably silent. My father and Sasuke stared at each other in quiet scrutiny, while Hanabi eyed the tarts in the middle of the coffee table. The loud beat of my heart thudded in my chest, alarming the butterflies in my stomach.

"Eight years." My father spoke softly, gazing at me with tired eyes. Eyes that were once filled with disappointment whenever he gazed at me.

"Yeah.." I whispered, shyly meeting his gaze.

His brows furrowed, anger flickering through his features.

"Not once have you called nor visited."

I was quiet, already feeling the tension thicken.

"You went to college? You're living with an Uchiha? What has happened to you?!" He kept his temper, but his tone was cold. My eyes shifted to my mug. Sasuke placed a hand on my knee, trying to comfort me. Yes I went to college, no I'm not living with Sasuke, and I've been fine.

"Where were you?" He demanded. I didn't say a word. This all could've been avoided if I hadn't opened the door or gotten out of bed. But Sasuke made me.

"Hinata. Where were you?" Everyone stared at me. Even Sasuke seemed interested in my answer. I looked up at Hanabi, who looked back at me apathetically. I haven't been a sister to her. I haven't been there for her. I regretted it. I thought going away would help her. I hoped it would let her strive to become head of the family with me out of the way. But...who am I to decide that?

"I've been gone. Because I thought Hanabi would have a better chance of leading the clan if I left."

Hanabi's eyes widened, but she kept her lips tight, not daring to utter a word. My father was also silent, almost appalled by my answer. Sasuke tenderly held my knee, looking a bit uncomfortable in the situation.

"Can we have some privacy? I would like to speak to my daughter alone." My father said, his eyes locked on me. Hanabi got up and sauntered off upstairs. Sasuke gave me a reassuring squeeze before getting up and following after Hanabi.

"Hinata."

My father gave me a stern glare, scrutinizing my very appearance. I bowed my head, an act of respect that I often did when I was younger.

"Yes father?"

"Do you know why Hanabi can't become the successor?" He asked. I kept my head bowed.

"Hinata answer me when I ask you a question."

"Because I am the successor." I answered curtly.

"By your actions you are not fit to be the next leader of the clan. Hanabi has shown brilliance in both her academic and leadership skills." He went quiet, as if to let that sink in.

"Kurenai took you to America to teach you. To train you to become an heir. To prove to me that you can become something great." I looked up at him, meeting his gaze.

"You come back after 3 years...and you never showed your face to me. But you graduated with outstanding grades. Scholarships to any college you wanted. And you completed 4 years of college." His glare softened, his words slowing down.

"Now you have a job and a house. You did this all..without anyone." I wanted to cry. My father held back what seemed to be tears, but sat tall and proud.

"Are you well?" He asked.

"Yes." My voice wavered. I rubbed my eyes, hiding my budding tears.

"It's dusty in here.." I mumbled, finding an excuse to explain my watering eyes.

"Hinata, I came here to tell you..that I'm proud of you."

His words hit me like a 2 ton truck. With wide eyes, I stared at him. He didn't smile or move from his position. He gazed back at me, the slightest ghost of a smile on his stony features. A warm drop of water fell down my cheek. I slowly reached to wipe it away but more fell, streaming down my flushed cheeks.

"U-um..I-I..." I stuttered, fumbling to find the words to express how I felt. He let out a sigh.

"Pretty dusty in here.."

A smile slipped on my lips, as I wiped away the tears.

"Yeah..I really need to clean..."

He nodded before getting up.

"I best be on my way. Come by the compound for dinner soon. You can bring that Uchiha if you want." He said, a slight cold tone directed to the mention of Sasuke. I got up as well, walking with him to the door.

"Hanabi. We're leaving." My father called. Seconds after his calling, Hanabi walked down nonchalantly, Sasuke following behind. He gave me a concerned look, but seemed to dismiss it as I gave him a slight smile. Hanabi and my father slipped on their shoes, and gave me one last farewell.

"Goodbye Hinata, Sasuke." My father said, nodding towards Sasuke. Sasuke nodded back, like it was some man code or something. Hanabi nodded towards Sasuke as well.

"Goodbye Sasuke."

"Goodbye Hanabi."

I looked between them curiously but Sasuke said nothing. Hm..

With that, they left. I gazed at Sasuke, who stood beside me quietly. He looked back at me, raising a brow in question.

"O-oh nothing." I laughed. He gazed down at me skeptically, but nonetheless sighed. Whenever he sighed, it usually meant he was content. It was pretty cute but understandable since he didn't talk that much.

"Do you wanna walk the dogs? Or would you rather be lazy since it's our day off?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"Walking the dogs it is." I smiled.