Chapter 12 - That's Your Brother?

By the time school started Dean was in a mood. A very bad mood.

He knew he'd been an ass to Castiel and definitely deserved the guy's sharp comment. But now that same comment kept rankling and Dean was out of options of how to handle it. Surely he'd messed up all his chances of getting any more help from Castiel. Jesus, the Shurley boy had really tried his best for him and in return he'd acted like a whining bitch.

"Hi honey!" Lisa called when he approached his friends. Michael wasn't with them yet, luckily.

"Hey," he mumbled, putting an arm around her shoulders by habit. He could tell she knew something was off about him but chose to ignore her worried look and turn to his friends. "What's up?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Charlie shrugged. Then she raised an eyebrow. "With you?"

"I'm fine," he grumbled. Now they all looked at him questioningly. "I am, okay?" he snapped.

"Jeez, don't have to get all fed up about it," Charlie said, rolling her eyes.

"Hey guys!" Michael joined them cheerfully. Dean could barely suppress a sigh and noticed too late Charlie was eyeing his reaction attentively. Shit. This wouldn't be the end of it.

Lisa poked him in the ribs and said with a loving smile, "Hey Michael, you think you can cheer up Dean here? He's being grumpy."

"Why are you being grumpy?" Michael asked.

I don't know, maybe because your brother claims I'm gay and in love with you? "I'm not grumpy."

Michael patted him on the shoulder. "Sure, buddy."

Dean was about to reply with something snarky but was interrupted by two teenagers running into the hallway. He looked behind in annoyance, then his jaw dropped when he recognized the first boy as... his brother? His eyes nearly popped out of his head while he watched Sam pass by, laughing loudly, chased by some other guy Dean didn't know. He continued to stare at his younger brother until he turned a corner. Then he turned back to his friends, who seemed just as surprised as he felt.

After a couple of seconds of silence he got out, "Somebody please tell me I didn't just imagine that."

"You didn't imagine that," Lisa said, still looking at the end of the hallway where Sam had disappeared.

"That really was my brother?" he said with pulled up eyebrows. "Looking like he was having fun?"

"Yup," Charlie said and shook her head in confusion.

"Who was the other guy?" Jo asked but Dean barely heard her.

He'd looked back at Michael and saw the boy's face had completely turned red with anger.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked, ignoring the answer Lisa was giving to Jo.

"Fine," Michael grumbled. "I'm gonna go, I'll see you guys at lunch." And with that he turned around and started walking away.

The rest of the group looked up in surprise and watched him go. Dean sighed, let go of Lisa and muttered a quick, "Be right back." before going after him.

"Hey," he called, quickly catching up with Michael. "What is it?"

"It's nothing, Dean. I told you, I'm fine."

Dean laughed and nodded a little. "Yeah dude, I invented that trick. Ain't gonna get rid of me that easily."

Michael let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair. "It's just..." He spread his arms in desperation. "Why does he always have to ruin everything?"