Chapter 21

LOAINE'S P.O.V

-December 2013-

"Hello, this is Eve speaking on Loaine's phone, can I help you?"

I shook my head. Eve acted ridiculous again. We're at the studio because I was doing my monthly photoshoot. And as you know, whenever I have photoshoot so Eve would be there to keep me company - and literally answered my phone calls. Like this time.

"Who's this?"

I glanced over Eve when my stylist put some additional make up on me.

"No I'm her best friend. You need something?"

She was listening to somebody across the phone but replied my glare.

"Who?" I mouthed. She raised her shoulders.

"Okay, but I need to know first, who are you?"

"Hang on. Are you calling from the US?"

What?

"To...by?"

Then Eve frozen like a freaking statue so I took my phone from her and started talking. "Hello, I'm Loaine, who's this?"

"Finally. You don't know me and you don't need to, but I just want to remind you to stay away from Toby."

"Pardon me?" I widened my eyes. Not this again.

"Watch out."

Then she hung up the phone. Now I was freezing just like Eve. And Eve was right. She sounded like an American, so that's make sense, she told Eve that she was calling from the US. But who?

"Hey Loaine, it's the time!" My photographer shocked me. Let's get back to the business for a while.

"You alright?" Eve asked. I shook my head. Because the answer was literally a big NO.

I did the horrible expressions, that's what my photographer said. It has to be a happy and girly photoshoot and as a model, I need to give that persona. But everything was blur to me. I can't even see the photographer's face when he talked to me. I can't even hear his direction. I can't control my own body and mind.

"Loaine? Helloooo, Loaine? You hear me?" The photographer shouted.

"Oh yeah yeah, I heard you. I'm sorry."

"What did I say?"

"Uh..." I blamed myself.

"See? You're not here. Your mind's not here. I wish I could give you a break. But we're running out of time. I'm sorry. Please Loaine, help me."

"Sure, Eric. I'm sorry. Can I have a drink first?"

"Guys, you heard her!" He shouted to no one in particular and a second later, an assistant brought me my water bottle.

"Thanks..." I mouthed and drank as fast as I can be. "Okay one more time. I'm ready."

"You sure?"

"Positive." I smiled to Eric then glanced over Eve again. She's busy with her phone.

"Okay! Lighting, set! Camera, set!" Eric spoke to the crew to start working again. Then a second later, I was going back to my own little bubble, filled by the only voice of Eric.

The photoshoot went fine, I guess. I heard Eric's sigh sometimes so probably it wasn't my best day. Oh, correction. It hasn't already, anymore.

"You did good, girl." Eve punched my hand playfully. We're in the taxi, going home.

"Nah, I did horrible." I smiled then bowed my head.

"Hey no one has right to blame you for that."

"Eric does."

"He said you're okay, Loaine."

"Yeah, and that's the polite way to say I way horrible than I used to be."

"Humans have issues."

"Professionally, no."

"You can't push yourself too hard on this. This is just a side job to you."

"Yeah..." I took my phone and pushed the dial log. An unknown number.

"What are you doing?" Eve realized it.

"Who's the girl..."

"Never mind. She spoke nonsense."

"It's somehow not. Eve..."

"You're fine with Toby. She's just another fanatic fan who tried to send you some terrors."

"Eve..."

"What?"

I was about to talk to her but the taxi driver stopped us. We're home.

"What is it, Loaine?"

"I had this...uh...ridiculous thought...for months..."

"About Toby?"

"Kind of."

"I'm ears."

"So...remember our 4th celebration? It was when you talked him not to hurt me and all... When you said that, he nervously nodded. It's weird..."

"Wait. What did you expect from it? Explain more."

"I mean it's weird. He hided something."

"Was it that obvious?"

"I think, yeah. And I've kept this for months."

"Stupid. Why didn't you tell me? We could've done something about that."

"I chickened out, you know. But hey what can we do about that? No way we can prove it either."

"You said so, but we've been this close to the other two McDonough. Ask something. They love you too. They will help."

"Uh that's terrible idea." I shook my head.

"Then go live in denial or even lies, I won't join you."

"Eve, help me..." I cracked.

"Ssh...you stupid Loaine. After all these months, you're still living in denial? Snap snap, wake up! You deserve to know the truth. For no matter how much I hate to tell you this, but there's even a sad ending in fairytale. And then we have reality. You know, face it. I'm with you. Let's hope for the best." She gave me the hug and I squeezed her.

"So you think we better ask Connor and Riley about this mysterious call?"

"Smart girl..."

"Okay."

"Oh and there's no such thing as a free lunch." She smirked.

I punched her hand playfully. You know, that's just Starbucks. You can just buy Eve's heart by a cup of Starbucks. Or probably she might just marry Connor or Riley because her addiction was that incredible.