Chapter 1 - Stolen

"Kate? You home?" I ignored the voice. I was in the middle of the most wonderful dream, and I didn't need anyone disturbing me. Thwack! "Ouch!" My eyes flung open and landed on the thick medical textbook resting in the hands of my demented roommate. "Erin, was that seriously necessary?" I glared at her. "Why, yes, yes it is. You didn't answer me." I groaned loudly. "Erin, people don't respond when they are sleeping. You do know that don't you?"

She smiled and tossed some paper in my lap. "I got the mail. You can say thanks, you know." I ignored her and shuffled through the envelopes, one in particular, catching my eye. "Oh my God. Erin. Oh my God! Erin! I got it! I got the contract!" I squealed at the sight of the envelope reading Evans & Company, and jumped up, grabbing my best friend in a suffocating hug.

"I still don't understand why you want to work at Westbrooke. You're already filthy stinking rich. Why would you need a job?" Erin choked out. I let her go and just looked at her. "I want to make a name for myself. I don't want to be known as the spoiled daughter of the Westbrookes. I want to raise up my father's company, and I want to make our company better than the Kingsleigh's. They're the only other competitor-"Erin cut me off, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, the only other competitor on your level. You will bury them and their stupid hottie of a son. Blah, blah, blah." "He's not hot, Erin." I rolled my eyes and brought my attention back to the letter containing the signed contract curious as to why they sent it to my apartment and not to the office. I tore it open expecting the contract I had mailed to them last week but instead found a letter.

It read "Dear Kathryn Westbrooke, we at Evans & Company are sorry to inform you that we have decided to sign with Kingsleigh Designs. I'm sorry, but he just offered us better prices. Best wishes, Rodger Patrick, CEO of Evans & Company."

I just sat there, staring at the letter, my hands shaking slightly. "Kate? Kate? Hellooo, earth to Kate?" I crumpled the paper up and threw it in the trash. "They signed with him. He stole it right out from under me Erin!" I stood up and stormed to my room searching for a clean suit. I really needed to do laundry. I hopped out of my room with one heel on and struggled to get the other on. "Kate? Oh no, you're not going over there are you?" I didn't respond. 

"Kate," Erin warned. "Don't lose your temper." I looked at her. "I won't," I promised. "Keys?" She tossed me my car keys as I was picking up my purse. "I'm going to confront them, Erin. They're not taking this away from me. He isn't going to take this from me." I started as I opened the door. "I worked too long and too hard to get Evans to sign that contract, and I won't have them steal it out from under me." I slammed the door behind me and made my way to my car. I smiled briefly as I unlocked it. I may be wealthy, but I don't spend my money unnecessarily. I rent out a two bedroom apartment with Erin for $900 a month and drive a 2017 Nissan Altima. I'm not materialistic.

I crawled into my car and took a deep breath. Alexander is my ex-fiancé. We were together for seven years before I caught him passed out in bed naked with some girl after coming home from a week-long business trip. I've tried to keep my distance, and I've done pretty well up until now. I can't stand the sight of him. But this, this is something that needs confrontation.

I backed out of the garage and started driving towards the business district. The business district is several blocks of big corporations and businesses so; unfortunately, his building isn't far from mine. And by not far, I mean, we share a parking garage. That's the only separation from our premises. I pulled into the parking garage and parked in my spot. Here we go, Kate. Be strong. You can do this. I straightened my hair and then got out smoothing my suit as I made my way to the entrance.

I have to give them credit; they chose a great interior decorator. Marble floors paired with white walls with black filigree. It was a gorgeous combination. This is my design. For when Alex and I got married. We were gonna join the companies and build a new building with this interior. The ass. I stopped in front of the secretary's desk positioned right in the center of the lobby. I could feel the stares on my back, and I couldn't help but hear the whispers. "Do you see her? That's Kathryn Westbrooke. I've heard she's a ruthless bitch." a woman whispered to her male friend. I turned around and stared at them...glared actually. They averted their eyes.