Chapter 24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR:

"I'm Ariel."

Sara's eyes widened as she heard the mermaid from the movie, The little mermaid. "Ariel? Ariel the mermaid? You... Saved me?"

Ariel raised an eyebrow. "Why, of course. Do you really think I would let you drown?"

Sara shrugged and laughed. "So, where have you brought me to?"

"The other side of Neverland." She replied and swam forward until she sat on the small pebbles that builds up the shore.

"The either side? But, why?" Sara asked. The other side, which means, she's away from Peter Pan.

"To keep you safe." She flopped her tail around. The light reflected from the sun, making it shine. "Neverland is a dangerous place. And it us ruled by Peter-"

"Peter Pan." Sara cut her off. "I know. He's my... friend." She didn't want to tell Ariel that she had something for Pan. Even what he had done to her. After all the things that has happen, Sara is still stuck between believing if Pan had truly changed, or not.

"Oh." Ariel said, feeling awkward. "Well, uh, would you like to go back? I can take you through the forest. I know the way."

"Take me through the forest?" Sara asked, looking behind her. "But, you're a mermaid. You can't walk on land." Ariel laughed and brought her tail out of the water. A light glowed from it and her tail became a pair of legs.

"What. The. Heck?" Sara asked, staring at how that just happened. "How... what? But, you're a mermaid. And, you just became a human?"

Ariel giggled. "I see that you know nothing about us mermaids." She wobbled her way to a log, still getting use to the change. She sat down next to Sara and smiled.

"Well, yeah. I mean, I didn't know how mermaids can do that." Ariel giggled once more.

"It's kind of an enchantment give by Ursula. But, no one has seen her in a thousand years now. She's probably a myth." She explained. "This last until the next high tide."

"Which is?" Sara asked. She seemed very interested in mermaids now. She stared out into the sea watching the sun slowly set. How time flies. The water swayed coolly as night slowly took over.

"It's in 12 hours." She sighed. "We better go before the enchantment is over." Ariel grabbed her as they rose up from the log.

"How long do you think it'll take to get there?" Sara asked as they started their journey. Ariel had found an opening of the forest and they walked through there.

"If we could use the short way, we'll arrive there I'm four hours." She replied, pushing away some leaves that was in the way. "But, if we can't use it. Then, we'll arrive there approximately, 12 hours. I know it sounds really long but, it's just the way of Neverland."

"But, that means you'll turn back to a mermaid!" Sara pointed out.

"I know, Sara." Ariel sighed. "I know. But, hopefully we'll find the shortcut. I just got to remember."

A few minutes of thinking, Ariel finally remember the way. Sara lit up a torch and trailed behind Ariel.

"No!" Ariel yelled once she saw that an entrance was blocked with heavy loads of stones.

"But, Ariel... That means...." Sara knew that very well that Ariel won't make it until they arrive at the other side side of Neverland.

"I know, Sara." she sighed. "I know." She turned left from the blocked entrance.

"I won't let you die because of me!" Sara yelled out. "Let's go back. We'll find another way to get to the other side."

"Sara, it's okay." she assured with a wide smile. "It's okay. I didn't get my happy ending. At least you can get yours."

Sara's eyes slowly watered with tears and she fell on her knees, not wanting a friend to sacrifice her life for Sara. "Ariel... please... there has to be another way!"

Ariel shook her head and stroked Sara's amber hair. "Sara, come on. I'll try to survive. Mermaid lagoon is located there. I'll probably survive. Now, let's keep going if we want to try to get over there before times run out." Sara nodded and followed Ariel through the dark woods.

They have been walking for almost hours! But, Sara didn't want to give up. She needed to get to Neverland before Ariel's time runs out.

"Ariel, what happens when you do turn into a mermaid we aren't there yet?" Sara asked. She pushed away all the leaves that blocked their way.

"I'll slowly lose air and then eventually die." Ariel explained. Sara's heart sank.

"And if we didn't make it back in Neverland before the high tides? I'll be alone, won't I?" Sara asked.

"I- I'm sorry, Sara. So, we'll have to keep on going, right?"

"Not exactly, dearie." A voice said. Ariel and Sara looked around the forest, keeping their guard up. Sadly, they didn't have a weapon with them. Once a figure popped out from the dark woods, Sara gasped.

"Rumplestiltskin."