Out

Slight TW: implication of self-harm
~~
"I find walks to be a comforting experience."
~~
When breakfast came, the tension at the table was completely obvious. Peggy sat and ate quietly for a while. A few minutes later, she abruptly got up and quickly spewed out, "Alright well this was a fun family breakfast thank you for the food I'm going to go now byeee," before briskly walking to the den.

She took a sigh of relief before she heard a voice she had grown quite fond of.

"Hey, Peggy," Jason said, walking in.

"Jason! I—um—heyyy..." she awkwardly smiled and folded her arms behind her back.

"Are you hiding something?"

"No, no! I was just—um—I was just going to go on a walk, yeah! Do you wanna come with?"

"Sure, I guess," he spoke suspiciously.

"Great! Let's go!"

"Wait-"

"Whizzer we're going on a walk bye!" Peggy quickly yelled to them and tried to walk out the front door.

"Alone?" Marvin asked.

"Relax, dad, I'll go with them," Whizzer said mockingly, earning a grunt and an eye-roll from Marvin.

"Whizzer, hurry up, we're leaving!" Peggy had more of a calmness to her voice now, as half of her body was out the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming,"
-
Once they were outside the house, Peggy sighed in relief.

"Are you okay?" Jason innocently asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's so nice to be out of that house, don't you think?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, there's so much tension and stress, it's the worst,"

"Yeah,"

There was an awkward silence until Whizzer came.

"Alright, you two. Don't get in trouble and don't go too far and we won't have a problem, okay?"

"What?" Jason quizzically asked.

"I'm not going to stand right behind you and monitor you. Yeah, I'm still going to be keeping an eye on you, but you guys deserve a day where none of the adults are stressing you out. Go be kids and do random stuff, alright?"

"Yeah!" Peggy exclaimed. She was beyond ecstatic the whole day. The two had gone to the park, gotten ice cream from an ice cream truck, stolen snacks from someone's bag, and did crazy dares. Whizzer followed behind, but not too close.

When the sun started to set, Whizzer rounded them up. "Hey, you two, we should probably start heading home now."

"Aw, really?"

"If you don't want Marvin to be yelling at all of us, yes. It's getting late anyway,"

"I guess I'm kind of tired," Jason thought.

The three walked home, happily throwing all of their worries away.

Until they returned home, of course.

Back at the house, the three could hear yelling even if they weren't even inside the house yet. Jason stood by the door in fear, Peggy had a look of guilt on her face, and Whizzer opened the door. They walked in and had a clear image of Trina and Marvin fighting. Whizzer put his hands on the kids' shoulders reassuringly before walking over to the two fighters. He tried to get them to stop, but to his dismay, all he ended up doing was getting himself dragged into all the yelling and arguments.

Jason and Peggy stood together, watching them from afar. Peggy longed to be over there, telling them to shut up because they're idiots, but she knew Jason wouldn't want the argument to grow louder. Peggy grabbed Jason's hand and ran up the stairs with him to his room. When they got there, Jason flopped onto his bed. He rolled over onto his back, leaving room for Peggy to lay next to him. She climbed onto the bed and faced the ceiling.

"Sometimes, I wonder what life would be like if none of us had ever met each other." Jason spoke.

"What do you mean?"

"If dad never met Whizzer, him and Mom might not be fighting this much. If dad never met Mom, I wouldn't be here. If Mom never met Whizzer, she wouldn't be so mad and sad all the time. If I never met Whizzer, I would be missing a friend. If I never met you..."

He looked over at Peggy. She seemed very worried.

"Maybe our lives would be better."

Peggy froze. She didn't know what to say or do. She may not love Jason, but they were friends, and she still had a crush. It hurt to hear him say that.

"Haha, yeah..."

They sat in silence for a while, until Peggy said, "Um, I should go."

"Wait, where?"

"Just—somewhere."

"I can—"

"No! No, just stay here."

Peggy swiftly left the room. She quietly walked down the stairs, and stopped before she got to the bottom. She spied on the adults from afar.

"If you and your stupid sister never came here..." Trina was talking, but Peggy couldn't be bothered to listen to the whole sentence. She was done.

"I'm not the stupid one, look in the mirror, asshole," she muttered, but no one heard her. She climbed back up the stairs and went to the bathroom.

She pulled out small yet sharp grooming scissors from the cabinet and put it against her wrist.

Our dear Peggy was running out of innocence.