Questioned

TW: descriptions of self-harm scars/reactions to self-harm
~~
Red was the color of the blood that bubbled from the cuts. Maroon was the color of the scab it left behind.
~~
Peggy slowly sat back down at the table. She was more terrified than she had ever been in her entire life. She glared down at her hands.

"Please," Whizzer begged, with tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

Peggy couldn't torture her own brother like this. She didn't have the heart. But she also knew it would torture him if he knew she had sliced her skin up. She took a deep breath and rolled up her sleeves.

What was exposed for her family to see was a horrifying sight to them. Her arms were littered in cuts. Some were small, others were large and unpleasant to look at.

Jason looked completely horrified. He may have been young, but he could infer what the girl was doing. How could his best friend to this to herself? What kind of sick joke is this? Did he really only make a friend just for her to rip herself away from him? No. No, he wasn't going to let her go that easily. He wasn't going to let her leave him all alone, as he had been the day he met her. He felt completely betrayed.

"Peggy?" His small voice asked, as if he was questioning if she was still there. Her face looked strained as she stared and Jason apologetically.

"I'm sorry," her voice cracked.

Whizzer was in a complete state of shock. He didn't know if this was a dream or not. No, a nightmare. His own sister cutting herself. How was she driven into sadness so far that she resulted in slicing her skin? Was it his fault? Did he not care enough? What did he do wrong?

He realized that his self-pity was doing nothing to help the girl when he saw her eyes start filling with tears. In only a second, he had sprung up from his chair and hugged her tighter than he had ever hugged someone in his life.

"I'm sorry, Whizzer, I'm sorry!" She sobbed into the warm embrace. She was shaking so much that Whizzer feared if she tried to stand up, she would fall straight on the ground.

"I swear, I'm sorry! Please, don't hate me!" Whizzer was sure his heart had broken right then and there. He started crying, too, but silently as to not scare the poor girl even more.

"Peggy, look at me, please," Whizzer said, his voice getting gentler with each word. The girl pulled away from the hug and looked him in the eye.

"I will never hate you. You got that? Never. Not even if you annoyed me for a million years."

She laughed a true laugh.

Marvin was shocked. He was shocked at how his boyfriend could be so gentle, and he was shocked at how fragile the young girl was. She seemed like she never let anything bother her, but it seemed as though everything bothered her. Marvin stayed quiet, to not ruin the moment.

Jason grabbed at Peggy's arm, which caught her attention. She turned to him and pulled her arm away on instinct.

"Sorry," she said lightly, resting her arms in her lap.

Jason grabbed her arms again, this time more gentle. He examined at the cuts, running his fingers along them. She squirmed, seeming very uncomfortable. Whizzer stood next to her still, his hands placed lightly on the top of her head as a comforting gesture.

Jason looked at the cuts for a few more seconds before lunging at her. She was taken by surprise when he started crying in her arms.

"Geez, everyone's crying today, huh?" She laughed bitterly. No one else laughed.

"I guess it's a bad time."

"Shut up, it's not funny," Jason mumbled.

"I know," Peggy replied, tightly hugging Jason.

A few minutes later, Peggy slowly asked Whizzer, "Whizzer, do you think I should see a psychiatrist?"

"Absolutely, Peggy," he said quickly.

She looked very defeated.
~~
When Trina came home that day, she saw four figures huddled on the couch sleeping. Upon closer inspection, she saw that the figures were Whizzer, Peggy, Jason, and Marvin. Whizzer was curled up close to Peggy, Peggy was resting her head on Jason's and their hands were only slightly touching, Jason had his head resting on Peggy's shoulder, and Marvin had his arm draped over all of them from his spot sitting next to Jason.

Trina questioned why they were all huddled up, but she found her answer when her eyes landed on Peggy's wrists, as her sleeves were still pulled up.