Waiting

Waiting can be excruciating, sometimes. When we want something to happen, the minutes turn into years, and the emotions turn into everything you know. Sometimes, you try to will something to happen; one can stare at their little sister's face, but it will not do anything to wake her up.
~~
Marvin and Trina ran into the hospital room that Peggy was put in, spotting Whizzer and Jason cuddled together.

Whizzer got up, carrying a sobbing Jason, and pulled Marvin into an embrace.

"They said—she should be just fine, depending on when she wakes up. She—could lose some of her memory, though, or even die if she's out for too long. They aren't sure if—she's in a coma or not yet, but they said they—doubt it," Whizzer said through sniffles as Marvin wiped the tears off his eyes once again.

"We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm sure she'll be fine. She's a fighter, she's strong," was all Marvin could muster out.

Whizzer smiled, "I know."

Trina cleared her throat as Marvin placed a chaste kiss to Whizzer's lips. The two looked over at her, but Jason only buried his head deeper into the crook of Whizzer's neck.

"Could I have my son back, please?" she raised an eyebrow.

At least Trina's acting normal right now, Whizzer thought.

Jason shook his head, "No."

"What?" Trina asked.

"No," he repeated sheepishly, "I wanna stay with Whizzer."

Trina looked taken aback and sat in a chair, embarrassed. Whizzer sat by the chair closest to Peggy, with Jason still in his arms, and Marvin sat in the middle chair.

Whizzer ran a hand through Jason's brown locks and pressed a kiss to his forehead, while reaching to grab Peggy's hand. Jason clinged to Whizzer.

"Whizzer?"

"Yeah, buddy?"

"Will we be able to come back tomorrow?"

Whizzer chuckled.

"Yeah, bud, of course."

Jason smiled for a second, then it dropped and he clung to Whizzer again. For a while, no one said anything and just stared at Peggy, willing for her to wake up. She didn't follow through.

Trina began talking, breaking the crippling silence, "Jason, maybe we should go home. It's late."

"C—Can't we stay the night?" he said softly.

"No, we have to get you home, sweetheart."

Jason looked towards Whizzer.

"I—Jason—" Whizzer stammered, trying to figure out what to say. Eventually, he decided to side with Trina.

"Your mom is right. You should go home, it's been—this is just a lot of stress to put on a child, you know? I know you're very mature, kid, but it's best you go home and come back tomorrow."

Jason looked defeated as he gave Whizzer one last hug goodbye.

"Marvin? Are you coming?" Trina asked.

Marvin shook his head, "I think I'll stay the night, too."

Trina grimaced as Jason said goodbye to his father. Marvin kissed him on the forehead and waved.

Now left alone, Marvin and Whizzer sat in silence for a while.

"I think it's my fault," Whizzer sighed quietly.

"What do you mean?" Marvin said back.

"Peggy, she—she wouldn't have fallen if she didn't hear what I said..."

"Well, what did you say?"

"I asked Trina if we should put her in a foster home—and I'm not considering it at all anymore!" Whizzer spoke, continuing as he saw the look Marvin gave him.

"Good...anyway, she was probably angry and scared. It isn't anyone's fault."

"Mm..." Whizzer hummed in a mediocre agreement.

Marvin turned Whizzer's chin to face him and kissed him.

"Don't worry," Marvin placed his hand on Whizzer's cheek. Whizzer scoffed out a laugh.

"Yeah, like that's possible," he rolled his eyes with a smirk.

"Hey, I'm trying here," Marvin snickered.

"Yeah, yeah," Whizzer kissed Marvin's temple, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, baby," Marvin leaned his head on Whizzer's as he cuddled up to him, Whizzer still holding Peggy's hand.
~~
In her coma, Peggy lies.
Soon her thoughts will turn and thrive.