Visit

She found his niceness to be his charm, and understood why her family chose him.
~~
"You seem uptight," Marvin observed the child sitting on the couch next to the chair he was resting in.

Jason nodded. He was a little uptight. After all, he was unexpectedly dragged into this by Trina, Marvin, and Whizzer. He only had an hour or two until the psychiatrist got to the house.

Peggy walked down the stairs in her classic outfit—a mustard yellow shirt and simple blue-jean overalls. She seemed to have more of a pep-in-her-step as she walked to the kitchen to get a snack and call it breakfast. Jason was jealous of how lightly the girl was taking this situation.

When Peggy had made it back to the couch, Jason whined.

"How are you so calm right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"We're literally about to get interrogated by a stranger. Aren't you scared?"

Peggy thought for a moment, then answered him.

"Not really. Plus, he isn't a stranger. Your mom and dad both have him as their psychiatrist."

Jason grumbled and curled up next to Peggy.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you, my prince!" she joked. Jason didn't find it very funny, and instead blushed at the nickname that was just meant to annoy him. Marvin rolled his eyes at Peggy and Jason. Partially because he was annoyed at their innocent flirting (which they weren't even aware they were doing), and partially because it was so stupidly funny to watch the scene between them unfold.

When the psychiatrist arrived, Jason hid his anxieties with sarcasm and rude humor. While his parents lead the man to the dining room table to sit down, Jason whispered to Peggy.

"What is he wearing?"

Peggy softly giggled and sat across from the psychiatrist. Jason reluctantly sat next to her.

"Hello, I'm Mendel, your new psychiatrist," the man said, sticking out his hand so they could shake it.

"Hi," Peggy shook his hand.

"Hello," Jason shook his hand as well.

"Now, I have to ask the parents and guardians to step out of the room so we can have a discussion without any interruptions or pressure," he said, but simultaneously giving the adults a look that said something along the lines of just pretend your in a different room, you can still listen in on the conversation as long as the kids can't hear or see you. Mendel hoped he got the point across.

"Well, then, I'd like to start with Jason."

Jason gulped.

"So your father and mother have divorced, yes?"

"Yes."

"Your father was caught cheating on your mother with another man?"

"Yes," Jason grimaced.

"And how does that make you feel?"

"Um...angry! I hate Whizzer!"

Whizzer felt his heart break from the spot where he was listening in on the conversation.

"Honestly?"

"Yes?" this time you could barely hear his voice.

"Are you sure? You seem to be questioning your answers a lot."

"...No."

"So how do you really feel?"

"I—I don't know? I should hate Whizzer for what he did, but he's just so...nice to me. I can't hate him. Plus, it was also dad's fault, so I can't really hate Whizzer. I want to, I just can't. I can't hate dad, either. He's my dad. So who can I blame?"

"Well, you shouldn't blame anyone."

"I know..."

"It seems as though how you want to feel differs from how you really feel."

Jason only nodded.

"Right. Well, how do you feel now?"

"Like I want a hug Whizzer and dad."

Mendel laughed. "It's a start. Just remember that nobody can be set to blame for this situation. Just try to feel alright for the rest of your life."

"Is this therapy?"

Mendel laughed again. "Yes. Well, now I'd like to move on to Peggy. I will need to bring up some sensitive topics, if that's alright with you."

"Um, yeah," Peggy nervously spoke.

"Okay. Now if you don't want to answer, that's just fine. Your comfortability comes first."

They shared a smile.

"So, you cut yourself, yes?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I...I just—I was just overwhelmed."

"With what?"

"Everything! Yeah, it's summer, and the stress of school is gone, but still. My parents hate me, the people who take care of me right now aren't too fond of me, and my best friend doesn't care."

"Is that true?"

"Yes..."

"You and I both know that everything you just said is a lie."

"Well, maybe some of it."

"All of it."

"Why would my parents kick me out of they didn't hate me? Why would Trina give me unsure glances if she didn't find me to be an annoyance? Why would my best friend say life may have been better without me if he didn't care?"

Trina was shocked that the young girl cared so much about what she thought about her.

Jason was equally shocked, as he never thought that one comment would push her over the edge.

"It seems like you have issues to discuss with your family."

"Yes."

"How do you feel?"

"Scared, I wanna be with my family."

"Alright. Well, then, we're done. I'll talk to your guardians for a bit, you kids can go rest on the couch while I talk to them here."

The children walked over to the sofa and sat down.

The two children were going to visit a fake wonderland as they fell asleep, the world darkening around them, along with their worries and cares.