Falling

When things are looking up, sometimes they seem to be more prone to falling. Maybe it's because you are so high that you simply are destroyed by one accident. Or maybe, we do not count our blessings.
~~
Whizzer and Trina walked out of the room they were in, Whizzer tucking a hair behind his ear as a stress habit. What the two adults didn't expect, though, were to practically run into Jason and Peggy, who were standing just a few feet from the door. Peggy had her hands over her mouth and Jason was looking at Whizzer fearfully.

"Oh, geez, ah, did...did you guys hear any of that?" Whizzer asked, running a hand through his hair.

Peggy shook her head, walking backwards.

"Yeah, we did," Jason spoke for her as she kept stepping back.

Whizzer's eyes widen as Peggy stepped back further, growing closer to the edge of the stairs, "Peg, wait—"

"No! No—you—get away from me! How could you even think that I...you would want to...are you trying to get rid of me?" Peggy glared up at him, though her eyes were glossy.

"No, Peggy, I'm not—I swear. I'll explain everything—please just walk forward," Whizzer said quickly.

"No, I'm not—!"

Peggy tried to yell a retort back at Whizzer, but she realized that there was no where left to step on the floor as her foot slipped and she fell backwards. She rolled down the stairs and banged her head against the wall behind her.

"Peggy!" Whizzer screamed, running down the stairs. At this point, Marvin had come running in, lightly slapping her face.

"She's out cold," Marvin looked at Whizzer fearfully.

Whizzer swiftly picked up Peggy off the floor and held her in his arms, ignoring the light smear of blood that decorated the wall. He held a large bump that seemed to be leaking a liquid on her head and he began to spit orders, his breathing starting to grow unsteady.

"Marvin," he said, still panting from his run, "Call the ambulance. Right now."

Marvin sprinted to their phone.

"Trina, towel, please," he looked at her with pleading eyes. Trina ran to grab a towel.

"Jason, buddy," Whizzer addressed Jason as lightly as he could. Jason looked up fearfully.

"Go get me and your dad's wallets, okay? Bring them here. They should be on the counter."

Jason nodded and ran to get the wallets as Trina came back with a towel. Placing the towel on the bump on Peggy's head, Whizzer sat down and held her in his arms, close to his chest.

"Is she still breathing?" Trina asked.

Whizzer put his fingers on her neck. After a moment, he let out a breath that he didn't know he was holding, "Yes."

He heard Trina breathe a sigh of relief as Jason ran back over with the wallets.

"Will she be okay?" Jason sat next to Whizzer.

Whizzer held her closer, "I...I don't know, bud, but I think so."

Jason nuzzled his head into Whizzer and sat, shaking. Trina came over and rubbed his back.

Marvin ran back over, "The ambulance should be here in about five minutes."

"We might not have that long!" Whizzer suddenly exclaimed worriedly, a pleading look in his eyes.

"I know, but there's nothing else we can do," Marvin places his hands on Whizzer's cheeks and placed their foreheads together; for once, Whizzer didn't push him away and stayed, letting anxious tears roll from his eyes. Marvin wiped them away and kissed his forehead.

"Everything will be alright," Marvin said.

"Everything will be alright," Whizzer repeated softly, as if he was trying to convince himself the idea was true.

A few minutes later, the ambulance arrived. The tight knit family untangled themselves from each other and placed Peggy on the stretcher.

"I'm coming in the ambulance," Whizzer breathily said to them, "I'm the only guardian she has left—I'm her brother."

"Hop in," the doctors said to him, and he sighed in relief.

"Wait—Whizzer, I wanna come, too!" Jason yelled over the noise of the ambulance.

Whizzer paused, then nodded at Jason.

"The kid's coming too," he told the doctors.

"Okay, but we shouldn't have any many more people."

Whizzer nodded and turned to Marvin and Trina, "I'll make sure Jason is okay, you two get in your car and drive there. Ask the front desk for Margarita Brown."

Both adults nodded and Trina yelled over the alarms, "Jason, honey I'll meet you at the hospital! I love you!"

"Love you, too, mom!" Jason yelled back as the ambulance doors were closed and they were on their way.

Peggy was falling, but she couldn't wake up to count her blessingsEveryone was falling. They did not count their blessings, though, and only worried about the girl who couldn't grow conscious.