SECTION 6: REUNION Part 7

Splendid opened the door. The bakery had been selling cakes for the cheapest price since the war, and he'd just decided to buy a packet. Maybe Fliqpy would eat them this time. He couldn't help but be a little worried about how skinny that boy was, and how he was merely getting skinnier every time he looked.
He stopped, and his friend opened the door.
Splendid was shocked. He looked terrible.
His hair was a mess, and there were massive black circles under his eyes. He looked pale and sweaty, and yet was still wearing a huge hoodie. His head lolled forward. His movements seemed almost jerky. Yet Splendid got the impression he was glad to see him.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," said Splendid, handing out his bag, "Cake?"

"I'll pass, thank you very much," said Fliqpy quietly.

"Oh, come on. In the few days I've known you, I haven't seen you eat. You must get hungry at some point."

Fliqpy just stared at him, not wanting to say anything. Splendid figured he was best off changing the subject.

"How's your brother? Has he got better since the fairground incident?"
Splendid had tried to explain to the police that what Flippy had done was an accident. A one-off. Because during his strange panic attacks, that boy looked troubled and the last thing he needed was to be packed off to a mental institution or worse yet, prison. And the police had agreed, provided Flippy never did anything like that again. Unfortunately, Splendid couldn't promise that.

.....................

"He's okay now, getting better with Flakys help."
He answered.

Fliqpy knew if he would eat anything he'd end up with nausea and stomach pain for the night, but the smell of the cakes alone was so nice. Usually he'd stop himself, but this time it's Splendid who bought the cakes. He didn't want to seem like he didn't appreciate it when splendid was being thoughtful.

"Actually I'll try some. Let's see ..."

He hovered his fingers over the plate. There was a small triple chocolate fudge cake, a tiramisu, a lemon drizzle cake, carrot cake, red velvet cake and something he couldn't even name. A slice of each so they could taste different ones. He decided on trying the carrot cake, not wanting the overly sweet triple fudge to give his body a shock. The carrot cake was nice, he smiled eating it. After finishing a piece, he leaned back.

"That was nice."

The soldier commented and the two smiled at each other. Fliqpy wondered if he had a chance with him... No. It wouldn't happen. He pushed the thought away and hoped he wasn't blushing. The two chatted for a bit longer and decided to watch a movie, when fliqpy felt nauseated. His stomach was starting to ache. Not good... He needed an excuse, something to get splendid to leave without looking suspicious... He decided to pretend to check his phone.

"Hey, my parents want me to come over for some reason. I have to go in ten minutes. Mind if we watch the rest tomorrow?"
He asked and splendid shook his head. He was glad it worked. He grabbed some spare clothes and ran into the bathroom, turning the shower on, but with no intention of actually showering. He slid down to the floor and curled up, to ease the pain, waiting for splendid to leave. He felt so horrible for doing this but what could he do?...

..................

Flippy had kept to himself for the past few days. The day after the panic attack, every little noise made him tremble. Even his parents coming to see if he was alright made his heart pound and his breathing race, and he'd ducked under the covers, listening to his parents' feet pace across the ground, waiting for them to leave.
This was how it had gone the second day too. The third day was slightly better, but not much. But a little while later, Flaky had walked in. Somehow, she was the only person who didn't make him feel completely terrified,