Book Playlist

Hello, one and all! So, this is just a little thing that I like to do with my stories: I pick theme songs for a bunch of things and share them. It's a great writing exercise for me, and it's fun for readers who want to get inside my brain. At least, I think it is...

Book Theme: "Army of One", by Joanne Shaw Taylor
So, I was actually going to use this one for Ophelia's, until I started thinking about my other characters. Frankly, none of them were really dealt a hand they were going to enjoy, but they all "kept marching on". I also think the sound fits with the book.

Ophelia's Theme: "Abraham's Daughter", by Arcade Fire
I ended up going with this one for Ophelia because I feel like it describes Ophelia's journey a little bit: she's a girl who went from being one of a million just going about their lives, but then, she decided that the time had come to step up.

Caleb's Theme: "I'm Shipping Up to Boston", by Dropkick Murphys

I picked this one mainly for the sound of the song: I think it fits him really well. 

Ben's Theme: "Welcome Home Son", by Radical Face

I picked this one because I think this describes what Ben wants at the end of the day: he wants to be able to go home to his family. But, not before the war's over, and he's won peace. And I think that's why he's so focused on working with the people at home to try and kick the British out.

Washington's Theme: "This Is Why We Fight", by The Decemberists

I picked this one for Washington because I think that bit where he keeps telling Hell to come fits him very well. Washington is an unmovable force: he's going to fight, even if the forces of hell are against him.

Alexander's Theme: "Centuries", by Fall Out Boy

I guess that the obvious choice for Alexander's theme would be a song from the musical about his life. Well, I wanted to go with the road less traveled. Something that I've learned while researching this book and the lives of the historical figures in it is that Alexander Hamilton was obsessed with creating a name for himself. He wanted people to "remember [him] for centuries"

Patriot Theme: "What's Left of the Flag", by Flogging Molly

I picked this one for the chorus: "walk away, me boys, walk away, me boys, and by morning we'll be free". Fit pretty well, for me.