Chapter Thirty-Five: Norwalk, Connecticut

"She's beautiful, Benjamin Tallmadge," Alexander sighed. "Absolutely beautiful. She's like... Aphrodite. No: better. Because she's real."

"Mhm." Ben wasn't entirely listening: he was writing down his list of suspects. High-ranking members that could be traitors. As he'd promised Washington, he was keeping the investigation quiet: even Alexander didn't know, as far as he knew. He wanted a list so he could keep things in mind while he went off to the prisoner exchange. So he could look out for signs of things to come from his fellow officers.

"The problem's going to be her father," Alexander said. "I don't think he's going to go for a wedding between the two of us. I don't exactly have a thing to offer her. Not in terms of money, anyway."

"Mhm."

"You're invited to the wedding, by the way," Alexander said. "Everyone is. You just need to promise me that you won't embarrass me in front of the elite of New York."

"Mhm."

"Ben, are you even listening?" Alexander demanded.

Ben looked up from what he was doing. "Huh?"

Alexander sighed. "Ben, I'm getting married, and you don't seem to care. I thought we were friends."

"Did Eliza say yes, then?" Ben asked.

Alexander looked hurt. "You really weren't listening, were you? I just explained all of this to you!" He sat up, apparently trying to read what Ben had been writing. "What's got you so wrapped up that you can't even listen to your dear friend's tale of woe?"

"I wasn't aware we were dear friends." Ben put down his pencil, folded up the piece of paper, and shoved it into his pocket. "As to what has me preoccupied, you don't need to know every single little thing. Hard to believe, I know."

"Oh, but that's just it: I do need to know every single little thing." He sat forward. "You think you deal in secrets? I think you still have a thing or two to learn from me."

"Besides learning how to weasel my way out of confrontation?" Ben asked. He stood up. "Come on: we've got to get to the prisoner exchange."

Alexander sighed, putting on his cap. "I don't understand why Washington's making me go, too. Isn't one officer enough?"

"Maybe he just wants you out of his hair," Ben suggested. "You've done nothing but talk about that Schuyler girl: I can't say I blame him."

"You've grown quite the mouth on you, you know," Alexander said.

"You'll see more of it if you dawdle any more," Ben said. "Let's go. We can talk on the way."

***

The prisoner exchange was to take place out in the middle of a field, in neutral territory. Ben and Alexander rode with the small guard contingent escorting the British soldiers that were to be exchanged for the Americans. Ben felt like he couldn't get there fast enough. He knew that, waiting for him in that neutral territory, was Noah Stroud. Ophelia would have her husband back by the end of the day, unless he decided to re-enlist.

"There's something special about this exchange for you, isn't there?" Alexander asked as they rode.

"Why do you say that?" Ben asked.

"Because you look like you're about ready to gallop off down this road."

He didn't say anything for a second. "Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. What's it to you?"

"Remember what I said about secrets?" Alexander said. "I always find out, eventually. Always."

"I'm starting to think that's just what you say so people will give in to you," Ben said.