Chapter Twenty-Four: New York, New York

Ophelia and Abraham spent the rest of the day getting settled in their room and in the city. Part of her wanted to explore the city, but she got the feeling that she would just get lost if she did. Abraham, however, spent much of the day out in New York, meeting with his contacts and getting ready for the task at hand. Ophelia, meanwhile, spent her time in the room by herself and helping Robert downstairs with his store.

Despite what Abraham had said about Robert being crabby, Ophelia found that he was actually quite pleasant when he wasn't worrying about his cover getting blown. His conversations with the customers were always friendly and polite, and he acted like everyone who came in was an old friend. There were plenty of people that came in that might've truly been friends of his, even, including a few soldiers. It was as if he'd never heard of the patriots, or Ben Tallmadge, or any of them.

Ophelia envied him: she wished more than anything that she could go on as if nothing were wrong.

"I haven't seen you here, before," one of the customers said to her at one point while she was ringing him up. "Who are you?"

Her mind went blank. "I-erm-"

"She's my cousin, Ophelia," Robert said before she could recover. "She'll be staying in the city for a few days with me, and offered to help me out, today."

The customer seemed satisfied with that answer. "Ah: I see. That's very kind of you to offer to help. My cousin would never do that..."

The customer continued to rattle off a whole story about his cousin, but Ophelia wasn't listening. Instead, she looked to Robert, grateful. Hoping that he would know that she truly did appreciate it.

He nodded as he put more money in a small, wooden box. You're welcome, he seemed to say.

The day passed much like that: they worked like all was normal, and whenever somebody questioned her, Robert would swoop in and clarify anything that needed to be clarified. Everybody trusted him, it seemed. Why would Robert Townshend ever lie to anybody?

It was around dinnertime when Abraham finally came back. He was bundled up in a scarf and cap, and his cheeks and nose were bright red from the early winter cold.

"Whew!" He said with a shiver as he closed the door. "It's getting a little chilly outside, isn't it?"

Robert's demeanor went from that friendly face he used for the customers right to the grouchy scowl he had whenever they were talking about work with the network. "Is it possible it's like that outside because it's November?"

"That's probably it." Abraham rubbed his hands together, apparently trying to get his hands warm. "When's dinner? We've got some stuff to talk about."

"That depends on when Sally finishes cooking dinner," Robert said coldly. "I'm expecting to hear from her any second, now."

As if on cue, Sally - Robert's sister - walked in. "Dinner's ready when you can close the shop."

"We'll be right there, thank you," Robert said as he walked over to the door and locked it, before anyone else could come into his store. "Let's get some dinner. And then, Abraham, you can tell me just what we need to talk about."

***

Dinner that night consisted of some stew with carrots, potatoes, and chunks of lamb. It was good: reminded Ophelia of the stew her mom used to make when she was younger and was more physically able to work around the house.

"This is delicious, Sally," Abraham said as he scarfed down his second bowl. "Absolutely delicious. Robert's lucky to have you cooking for him."

Sally smiled. "Thank you, Abraham."