Chapter Fourteen: Norwalk, Connecticut

"Great news," Caleb said. "We've got more news from Setauket."

Ben looked up from his papers. The dozens of papers scattered across his desk, filled with logistics regarding the job he was attempting to pull off in Setauket. Well, against the men of the royal navy stationed in Setauket, anyway. As the officer in charge of the operation, he was in charge of all the logistics: mostly making sure that the money allotted to him got to the right people. Payroll, needed supplies; he was fairly certain that he'd find some pay stubs for the dogs of Setauket for barking and making the British soldiers flinch if he looked hard enough.

"More news," Ben said flatly. "Yippie. That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

"Aw, come on, Benny," Caleb said as he waltzed closer to Ben and his desk. "What's got ya down?"

"Take a guess," Ben said, motioning to the papers. "Sometimes, I wish I hadn't taken this damned job."

"Try to not get so down on yourself," Caleb said. "It might make you happy to know that our Ophelia came through for us, again. We've got a date for our plans: end of the week. And... maybe some more people to help us out."

"Ophelia and Anna," Caleb said. "One of them's going to tow Alexander and I out the night we act."

"First of all, Jacob's going out with you," Ben said.

"Oh, thank God! I'm never going into a cramped space with him ever again-"

"Why are you pulling those two into this, out of all people?" Ben demanded.

Caleb sighed. "Not this, again. What's with out and Anna and 'Phelia? You're nowhere near this protective of me and... me."

"You don't have a husband that'll kill me if something happens to you," Ben said. "In fact, I know a few people who would be overjoyed to hear that you'd met your demise."

"Ouch." Caleb began to scratch at the stubble on his chin. "Still don't explain it. At least, I don't think it does. Somethin' deeper's going on. And I want to know what. Before you have me doing desk work or somethin'."

Ben was just about to open his mouth to defend himself, again, until Washington walked into the tent.

Ben immediately stood up, nearly knocking over his chair, and saluted. Caleb didn't salute, but he did manage to stand up a little straighter.

"G-general, I-"

"Sit down, Major: no need to be so formal," Washington said. "Private, do you mind if I speak to the Major?"

"Yes, sir," Caleb said.

He gave Ben one last glance, then walked out.

Washington pulled Ben's spare chair over and sat down, the chair groaning under his weight. Ben followed suit.

"How are you holding up, Major?" Washington asked.

"F-fine, I suppose," Ben said. He looked back down at his desk and motioned to the papers. "This is all a tad... overwhelming."

Washington grunted. "Why the hell do you think I hired Hamilton? It sure as hell wasn't for his charming personality."

Ben smiled slightly.

"I... heard part of your conversation with the private," Washington said offhandedly. "About not wanting to get a certain two citizens of Setauket involved in your plans for the army."

"It's nothing, sir," Ben said. "Really."

"Major: do you have any idea how long I've been a military commander?" Washington asked.