Bittersweet Cupcake with a dash of Mystery

Suho stood out in the balcony of the upstairs library, looking out into the lush green garden. He has always liked The Wu household’s garden. Mrs. Wu was a horticulturist, and filled her backyard with flowers and trees and even put in a little fish pond. It was a reminder to her workaholic husband and son that sometimes, you need to come home and let Nature take your problems away instead of tackling them yourself.

Suho smiled at the memory of Kris’s mother, Mrs. Wu. She was like a mother to him. Suho’s parents were always too busy working and flying to different countries. He hardly saw them, hence spending all his time with his Auntie May and cousin Kris. He grew up with Kris, playing competitive basketball and throwing stones at the fish in the pond. So he didn’t exactly catch up much on the height department, but he was happy with his cousin. Sure, they were very competitive, but that added the spice to life.

Suho knew Kris’s dad put a lot of pressure on him. He has always wanted Kris to take over the family fortune and business. When WOAHT was formed, he wanted Kris to be Director, but Kris didn’t want to be cooped up in a stuffy old office. He wanted to get out there where all the action is, so Mr. Wu decided to go for Option No. 2, Suho.

“You are a smart man with great skills. You know how to talk to people and you listen to those below you well,” Mr. Wu told Suho, patting his back. “I think you will make a fine Director, perhaps even more than my own son.”

Suho considered himself lucky. He got the highest position with the shortest amount of time. The job paid well and he had a nice place to live, nice car, a supporting family (sort of) and the satisfaction of saving lives and giving back to the community.

Deep down inside, Suho was jealous of Kris. He wasn’t jealous about his money or dashing good looks (Kris liked to assume it is), but just the fact that Kris had a family. He had a loving, dedicated husband and a little girl. He had a wonderful mother and a father who even though gets on his nerves and is definitely no angel, he at least had one.

He hasn’t seen his own parents in 10 years. They were too busy flying and working, they hardly stopped by to see their own son. Birthdays go uncelebrated, cards were written by secretaries and the phone calls couldn’t even last for more than 10 minutes. At the end of a busy day, Suho would pack up his things, drive to Gangnam where he bought a villa worth 2 million, with numerous bathrooms and bedrooms, his own private swimming pool, elegantly decorated dining hall, 5-star chef for hire that cooks gourmet meals and indoor spa.

But the place, no matter how elegantly decorated, was always empty.

Suho looked down at Kris, who was swinging his daughter in his arms. Tao looked on and Kris walked over to kiss his husband. Suho looked down and sighed. No matter how many times he competed with Kris over numerous things, grades, sports, girls…this was the one thing Suho felt like he truly lost in.

He has someone who loves him. He has a family. He’s happy.

Suho sighed and walked away. Perhaps one day, his luck will change.

********************

It was a brand new day for Chanyeol, Kai and Sehun, which also means going back to class. Xiumin came over with all his food and the boys were getting ready to go to class. The Dolls were going to Jongdae’s clinic for further checkups.

“Here, hyung! Have a cupcake!” Mike handed everyone a frosted chocolate cupcake. Luhan took the cupcake and bit into it, the frosting stuck to the tip of his nose. Sehun chuckled.

“Luhan, you have something on your nose.” Luhan tapped his nose, wiping off the frosting but then it later got on his chin and cheek.

“You have some over…oh never mind, let me.” Sehun used his finger to wipe off the excess frosting all over his face. “Why are you so messy when you eat? Now you’ve got frosting all over you.” He wiped his fingers clean. “Want another one?” Luhan nodded. He liked sweet things, and this cupcake is sweet.