3. Car Adventure...to Starbucks

(Three days later...)

It's probably not the biggest news to you, but for me, it is. I decided to face my social fears three days ago and went to a Toyota car dealership that happened to be conveniently two blocks away from the apartment. They happened to have a truck sale, and me having a secret adventurous side, I chose to buy a new Tundra.

This thing is huge for me, being only 5' 2", but I don't mind. There was a mutual friend back in Orlando who let me drive his Ford F-150 occasionally. I really enjoyed the thrill of being in a massive truck, instead of the small vehicles that my parents used to own. That's why I ended up putting both cars up for sale instead of inheriting them and bringing them to Los Angeles.

Well, that's another boring aspect of my bland life. Sometimes I wish that I had at least one friend or person in my life who can make me laugh or smile. I don't even need it to be a boyfriend either, I just want someone to hang out with. Unfortunately, LA isn't the greatest place to start with friends. You're literally a lone fish in a sea of millions.

The only hope I have is the barista at Starbucks, a person who somehow knows what I prefer to order as a drink. She's one of the only people who I actually engage in a proper conversation with on a weekly basis. Even though I only go to Starbucks every Tuesday, I figured that I should try and drive there myself today to get back into the habit of driving.

Seems like the traffic is okay today, I sigh as the long line of cars move down the street at a moderate speed.

Even the best traffic conditions won't help me get in a better mood. I know that I easily laughed my ass off about James Charles and that whole Uber experience, but maybe I found it hilarious because of how unexpecting it was for the YouTuber to say that about the Uber driver right in the back seat of his car. Then again, laughing and smiling are two different experiences.

I pull into a half-full Starbucks parking lot, backing up into a lone parking space at the corner of the lot. Four teenage girls come strolling loudly out of the café together, laughing a smiling with their summer drinks at hand. Two of them break away from the group to the traffic stop just across the front of the Starbucks.

They look so happy.

I wish I was happy like them.

A strong aroma of cinnamon and vanilla come at me as I swing the door open. The soft breeze of the air conditioning cools the air around my sweating forehead and body as I step behind a guy in the long line up of customers. Faint lights hanging from the high ceiling give me a vibe of aesthetic pleasure. It feels cozy, but summery. I like that.

"James...what the fuck is a pinkity drinkity?" A man asks his friend at the side of the line up.

"We don't need a questioning sister," the annoyed one says bluntly.

That sounds so familiar.

"Shut up! A drink is a drink!" A third voice argues.

"Says you and your smartass!"

"Grayson, shut up!"

Is that James Charles' voice?!

I peek my head to the side, seeing three tall guys standing at the counter, presumably waiting for their drinks. Two of them have their backs facing me, but I immediately recognize the one standing in front of them. I was right.

But who are the other two whose backs are to me?

"Alright, here's your fucking pinkity drinkity," James takes two drinks from the barista and shoves one harshly to the guy on the right. "Next time you complain, I'm not going to treat you."

"We love a threatening sister," the other one says in a deeper, smirky voice.

"Oh shut up," the other flicks his "smartass" friend.

"I'll only forgive you because you're my daddy, Gray," James rolls his eyes.

The master of thirst comments.

"Can we just please sit down? I haven't sat down all day."

"Shut the fuck up, E! You're the one who's been sitting around and playing Fortnite all damn day!"

"How are you two twins? You fucking argue like...every minute that you're awake."

Twins?

"Next in line please?"

Shit, that's me!

"H-hello," I awkwardly smile, with my credit card ready at hand.

The barista asks me, "The usual today?"

"Yes please," I nod with a polite tone. "May I please have some extra ice in it too?"

"Of course, love," she beams. "You can just insert your card when you're ready."

"Thanks," I force myself to smile again.

"It'll just be a quick, five minute wait!" She tells me, handing off the order to one of the other employees.

I slip onto the side, waiting by the pickup area for my drink so I can just leave and go back home to have my own fun research biology-related things. My hand reaches into the side pocket of my shorts, but I freeze. I see a shadow hovering over me.